Introduction (week 1):
Bellissima (Luchino Visconti, 1951)
- the establishment of national film vocabularies
- the presence of landscape (and cityscape) as a key element of these vocabularies
- femininities and masculinities in Italian cinema
- questions of vision and viewing
- self-reflexivity in cinema
- neorealism and its legacies.
Section 1. Explorations of self (weeks 2-5)
8½ (Federico Fellini, 1963)
Il deserto rosso (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1964)
Un'ora sola ti vorrei (Alina Marazzi, 2002)
La grande bellezza (Paolo Sorrentino, 2013)
Section 2. Alternative perspectives (weeks 7-10)
Sciuscià (Vittorio de Sica, 1946)
Respiro (Emanuele Crialese, 2002)
Hamam. Il bagno turco (Ferzan Ozpetek, 1997)
Io, l'altro (Mohsen Melliti, 2007)
Term 3: two-hour revision class.
Films & Film Screenings
Please make sure you watch the film at least once before each session (lecture and seminar).
Either one essay of 4,000-4,500 words or one essay of 2,000-2,500 words plus one one-hour exam in the summer.