About our Chemistry modules at Warwick
We offer the same core modules for Year 1 and 2 in all our undergraduate chemistry courses.
In Years 3 and 4, you have the flexibility to choose optional modules tailored to your own interests - additionally, our four-year courses offer the opportunity to undertake a cutting-edge research project with one of our academic research groups.
Upcoming changes to modules
We are planning to make some changes to our undergraduate Chemistry degrees for 2023 entry. Changes to core and optional modules go through the University's rigorous academic processes.
As changes are confirmed, we will update the course information on our university study pages. It is therefore very important that you check our study pages for the latest information before you apply and prior to accepting an offer.
Undergraduate Chemistry degree modules
You can find information on all modules across our courses below.
If you have a specific course you are thinking of applying to, you can find out about the modules as part of the course by clicking on the following course titles:
- Chemistry (BSc)
- Chemistry (MChem)
- Chemistry with Industrial Placement (MChem)
- Chemistry with International Placement (MChem)
- Chemistry with Medicinal Chemistry (BSc)
- Chemistry with Medicinal Chemistry (MChem)
- Advanced Organic Chemistry and Laboratory
- Advanced Inorganic Chemistry and Laboratory
- Advanced Physical Chemistry and Laboratory
- Advanced Analytical Chemistry
- Molecular Pharmacology (Chemistry with Medicinal Chemistry only)
MChem with Industrial Placement students spend a full year in industry during Year 3 with some distance learning.
MChem with International Placement students take the summer term abroad which replaces the laboratory sessions.
Optional modules for year 3
You will choose optional modules to tailor your degree to your interests. There is a broad selection of optional modules to choose from in both years three and four. These delve further into aspects of Chemistry along with extended lab work, giving you a broad and deep understanding of the subject.
Representative optional modules in Year 3 include:
- Molecular Structure and Dynamics
- Bioorganic Chemistry
- Polymer and Colloid Science
- Extended Lab (core for MChem)
- Coordination and Bio-Inorganic Chemistry
- Communicating Science (delivered by the Physics department)
- Secondary School Teaching (delivered by the Centre for Teacher Education department)
Optional modules for Year 4
You will choose optional modules to tailor your degree to your interests. There is a broad selection of optional modules to choose from in Year 4. These delve further into aspects of Chemistry, giving you a better understanding of the state-of-the-art in the subject.
Representative optional modules in Year 4 include:
Chemistry placements and internships
Placements are a great way to enhance your Chemistry degree by undertaking research projects at industrial or academic partners.
You have the option of industrial placements (UK or overseas), or academic placements across Europe, Singapore or Australia.