Andrew is internationally recognised for work in free radical chemistry and synthetic chemistry, in particular, the development of copper-mediated atom transfer radical cyclisation (ATRC), atropisomers compounds, and the use of renewable or waste vegetable oils for the synthesis of novel polymers, composites and surface coatings. He is currently both a Professor and WIHEA fellow within the Chemistry Department as well as the University Academic Director (UG) within the University Education Executive.
Within this team he has collective responsibility for Academic Governance, Teaching Quality, and Quality Assurance of all University Undergraduate Degrees (currently 14,967 students, 33 departments, 4 faculties). Other shared responsibilities cover assessment, Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF), examinations, student experience, employability and skills, industrial placements, and apprenticeship programs. He has recently co-authored the officially sanctioned AQA A-level Chemistry textbook (covering the new syllabus) and is currently commissioned to write new Undergraduate textbooks on Organic Synthesis (OUP Press) and Stereochemistry (RSC).
Groups at Warwick
- 2017- University Academic Director, Education Executive, Senate House, University of Warwick
- 2017- Professor, Chemistry, University of Warwick, UK.
- 2016-2017 Chair of the Medical School Fitness to Practice Committee, University of Warwick, UK.
- 2016- Warwick International Higher Education Fellow, University of Warwick, UK.
- 2016-2017 Deputy Chair Science Faculty Undergraduate Study Committee, University of Warwick, UK.
- 2010-2017 Director of Undergraduate Studies, Chemistry Department, University of Warwick, UK.
- 2006-2017 Associate Professor in Synthetic Chemistry, University of Warwick, UK.
- 2001-2006 Senior Lecturer in Organic Chemistry, University of Warwick, UK.
- 1993-2001 Lecturer in Organic Chemistry, University of Warwick, UK.
- 1992-1993 Post Doctoral Research Assistant, Studies toward Taxol, Prof. Gerald Pattenden, Nottingham University, UK.
- 1990-1992 Post Doctoral Research Assistant, Synthesis of Germine, Prof. Gilbert Stork, Columbia University, New York, USA.
- 1990 PhD. Supervisor Prof. Keith Jones, Heterocycle Synthesis via Free Radical Cyclisation, King's College, London, UK.
- 1987 BSc. (Hons) First Class, Chemistry, King's College, London, UK.
- 2016 WIHEA Fellowship
- 1997 SCI prize for promising researcher under the age of 30 awarded at the House of Commons
- 1994 Novartis ACE award
- 1989 SCI-UK postgraduate award
- 1986 Danielli Award
I am working on the following projects at the moment:
- Project number 1
- Project number 2
- Project number 3
- Synthesis and Catalysis: Organic methodology development and free radical mediated chemistry in organic synthesis. Development of atom transfer radical cyclisations and radical-polar crossover reactions in natural product synthesis. Development of C-C bond forming reactions using copper catalysis. Atropisomeric chemistry, particuarly rotational dynamics of enamides and application to molecular machines
- Sustainable Materials: Green chemistry, biomaterials and waste sequestration. Use of plant oils to manufacture polyurethanes, epoxy resins, polyesters, polyamides, polytriazoles, polyoxazoles and phenolic polymer composites. Degradation of lignin. Renewable 3-D printing
- Medicinal Chemistry: Using chemical genomics, anti-cancer and antibiotic agents.
Andrew teaches the CH161 Introduction to Organic Chemistry undergraduate module (2019/20)
- Synthetic Study toward Total Synthesis of Germine: Synthesis of (+/-)-4-Methylenegermine. Gilbert Stork, Ayako Yamashita, Robert M. Hanson, Ly Phan, Eifion Phillips, Daniel Dube, Pieter H. Bos, Andrew J. Clark, Maxwell Gough, Mark L. Greenlee, Yimin Jiang, Keith Jones, Masato Kitamura, John Leonard, Tongzhu Liu, Philip J. Parsons, Aranapakam M. Venkatesan. Org. Letts. 2017, doi: 10.1021/acs.orglett.7b02434
- A chemical genomics approach to drug reprofiling in oncology: Antipsychotic drug risperidone as a potential adenocarcinoma treatment. Susan J Dilly, Andrew J Clark, Andrew Marsh, Daniel A. Mitchell, R. Cain, Colin W Fishwick, Paul C. Taylor. Cancer Lett. 2017, 393, 16-2
- Synthesis and Properties of Polyesters from Waste Grapeseed Oil: Comparison with Soybean and Rapeseed Oils. Andrew J. Clark, Andrew H. Ross, Stefan A. F. Bon. J Polym Environ 2017, 25, 1-10
- Direct valorisation of waste cocoa butter triglycerides via catalytic epoxidation, ring-opening and polymerisation. Dorota Plaza, Vinzent Strobel, Parminder Kaur Heer,Andrew Sellars, Seng-Soi Hoong, Andrew J Clark, Alexei Lapkin, J. Chem. Technol. Biotechnol. 2017, 92, 2254-2266 (open access)
- Axially Chiral Enamides: Substituent Effects, Rotation Barriers and Implications for their Cyclization Reactions. Andrew J. Clark, Dennis P. Curran, David J. Fox, Franco Ghelfi, Collette S. Guy, Benjamin Hay, Jessica M. Phillips, Fabrizio Roncaglia, Philip B. Sellars, Paul Wilson, Hanmo Zhang. J. Org. Chem. 2016, 81, 5547-5565 (open access)
- Cu⁰ Promoted Cyclization of Unsaturated α-Halogeno Amides to give β- and γ-Lactams. Andrew J. Clark, Jonathan N. Duckmanton, Fulvia Felluga, Armando Gennaro, Franco Ghelfi, Jack R. D. Hardiman, Abdirisak A. Isse, Claudia Manferdini, Domenico Spinelli Eur. J. Org. Chem. 2016, 2479–2491
- Copper Catalyzed Atom Transfer Radical Cyclization Reactions. Andrew J. Clark, Eur. J. Org. Chem. 2016, 2231-2243.
- Effect of the N-based ligands in copper complexes for depolymerisation of lignin. Jinhuo Dai, Sepa Nanayakkara, Thomas C. Lamb, Andrew J. Clark, Si-Xuan Guo, Jie Zhang, Antonio F. Patti, Kei Saito. New J. Chem, 2016, 40, 3511 – 3519
- AQA A Level Chemistry Year 2 Student Book, Andrew Clark, Lynne Bayley Paulo Coppo, Collins, 15 Jun 2016