Senior Teaching Fellow - Director of Student Experience
Bo is a wearer of many hats at the University and has been involved in research, teaching, curriculum design, wellbeing, employability and skills, enterprise and innovation. Prior to joining the department, Bo worked as an Education Strategy Project Officer, collaborating with all academic departments to embed the Strategy. She leads on Chemistry's Skills Component and a new module Innovation 101. Outside of Chemistry, Bo is a Module Leader for Entrepreneurship: A Critical Perspective and An Introduction into Design Thinking Theory and Practice, and a Course Coordinator for Leadership, Communication and Innovation. She is also one of the experts on A Design for Life Executive Education Course. Bo holds a PhD in digital innovation from Warwick Business School and a Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy. Bo was the first ever student to be awarded the Warwick International Higher Education Academy for her outstanding contribution to teaching and learning innovation. She is currently working on publications on the use of design thinking for student engagement and digital pedagogy.
bo dot kelestyn at warwick dot ac dot uk
75881 or 07491463652
My office hours are by appointment and you can always reach me on WhatsApp and Teams.
Groups at Warwick
- Warwick International Higher Education Academy (WIHEA)
- Faculty of Science, Engineering and Medicine Education Committee
- Institute for Advanced Teaching and Learning (IATL) Education and Management Committee
- LDCU Advisory Board
- STEM GC Education and Student Experience Workstream
- STEM & Diversity and Diversity Book Club
- 2016-2019- Education Strategy Project Officer, Warwick International Higher Education Academy (WIHEA), University of Warwick.
- 2018-present - Module Leader and Associate Tutor, Institute of Advanced Teaching & Learning (IATL), University of Warwick.
- 2018 - Undergraduate Skills Programme Coordinator, Student Careers and Skills, University of Warwick.
- Pearson HE Innovate Award 2021 Nominee
- The Andrew McCamley Award for Outstanding Teaching 2021 Nominee
- Warwick Award for Teaching Excellency 2021 Finalist
- Warwick Award for Teaching Excellency 2020 Winner - Butterworth Memorial Award
- Warwick International Higher Education Academy (WIHEA) Fellow (2017-2020)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Warwick Business School Outstanding Contribution to Teaching Award (2016-2017 and 2017-2018)
I am working on the following projects at the moment:
- Researching the use of design thinking for student voice and student engagement, using the Warwick Secret Challenge.
- Co-leading the Employability Learning Circle and designing interdisciplinary employability modules.
- Chinese Student Experience project, co-created with the SSLC and a dedicated Student Project Officer.
- Reimagining departmental social media and student communications.
My research interests are really diverse and interdisciplinary, focused on teaching and student learning experience:
- Design Thinking and Innovation Education
- Design Thinking for student engagement and student voice
- Design Thinking in STEM
- Interdisciplinary Pedagogy
- Digital Pedagogy
I teach on a number of modules and courses at Chemistry and Warwick:
CH160 and CH161: Skills Component Lead
CH222: R01 Business Marker and Non Chemistry Presentations Marker
CH3G4 and CH417: Innovation 101
Institute for Advance Teaching and Learning:
IL020: Entrepreneurship: A Critical Perspective
IL029: An Introduction to Design Thinking Theory and Practice
IL924 and IL925: Design Thinking for Social Impact
Warwick Summer School
Summer School: Leadership, Communication and Innovation
I am co-supervising several MChem students working on ChemEd projects, focusing on qualitative data analysis.
Reid, E., Kelestyn, B. (forthcoming). Problem Representations of Employability in Higher Education: Busting open this Wicked Problem with Design Thinking and Co-Creation. The British Journal of Guidance and Counselling, special issue on Critical perspectives on agency and social justice in transition and career development.
- O'Toole, R., Kelestyn, B. (forthcoming). Transdisciplinary Design Thinking in a research-intensive university at a time of rapid change. Design and Technology Education: an International Journal.
- Greaves, R.,Kelestyn, B., Blackburn, R., Kitson, R. (forthcoming). The black student experience: Comparing STEM undergraduate student experiences at Higher Education institutions of varying student demographic.
Kelestyn, B., Freeman, R., (manuscript). Transforming student engagement through Design Thinking. Targeted at The International Journal for Students as Partners.
Kelestyn, B., Henfridsson, O. 2014. Everyday Digital Entrepreneurship: The Inception, Shifts and Scaling of Future Shaping Practices. Proceedings of the 35th International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS 2014).
**Kelestyn, B., Henfridsson, O., Nandhakumar, J. 2017. Scaling the User Base of Digital Ventures Through Generative Pattern Replication: The Case of Ridesharing. Proceedings of the 50th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS 2017). **Nominated for the HICSS-50 Best Paper Award in the Organizational Systems and Technology Track (Digital Innovation mini track).