Mark's research is based upon the application of Fourier transform ion cyclotron resonance (FTICR) mass spectrometry to the study of complex mixtures. The primary interest is an area referred to as "petroleomics," which is the molecular characterization of the components of petroleum using ultrahigh-resolution mass spectrometry.
Collaborative work with industry, academia, and the public sector is a key part of this multidisciplinary approach. One example is a long-standing collaboration with Environment and Climate Change Canada, where the focus is upon developing analytical approaches for monitoring the potential environmental impact of the oil sands industry in the Athabasca region of Alberta, Canada.
Groups at Warwick
- British Mass Spectrometry Society (BMSS)
- Elected member of the committee and a trustee, currently General Secretary
- American Society for Mass Spectrometry (ASMS)
- Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC): MSRC CChem
- RSC: Analytical Methods: Instrumental Analysis Expert Working Group
- Energy Institute (EI)
- 2022-Present: Reader
- 2019-2022: Associate Professor
- 2017-2019: Principal Research Fellow
- 2013-2017: Senior Research Fellow