Warwick Chemistry provides challenging and versatile courses, which are taught by enthusiastic and approachable academics. The department's excellent teaching reputation is university recognised, and their recent investment in departmental facilities ensures a memorable learning experience."
Baljeet Panesar, 4th Year MChem
Why Chemistry at Warwick?
- We are one of the world's leading teaching and research institutions, consistently ranking highly amongst the top chemistry departments. This achievement is supported by our positioning both in the QS 2016 World University ranking - Chemistry and the UK Guardian league table for Chemistry.
- Warwick graduates can be confident about their future prospects - Graduate Market 2016, as Warwick is among the top 5 universities targeted by the largest number of top employers, being placed third in 2015 and 2016 consecutively .
- We are also ranked third in the world in the QS Top 50 under 50 for universities under 50 years old, and in the top 10 UK Universities according to the Complete University Guide and the Times and Sunday Times University Guide.
- Our reputation for innovative, research-led teaching has been consistently recognised by our staff winning the prestigious Warwick Award for Teaching Excellence and assuring our students an outstanding education. Six months after leaving their studies in the department, 81% of graduates have succeeded in securing graduate level work.*
- Chemistry's unique learning community is built on three pillars of student experience that is deeply rooted in student led research, education with global outlook and one that pushes the boundaries of a single discipline. We prepare students to be the critical thinkers and change agents of tomorrow. Find out more about the three pillars and opportunities available to Chemistry students at Warwick:
Flexible study options
The Chemistry degrees at Warwick combine a core curriculum in years 1 and 2 with flexible choice in year 3, to allow you to tailor your course to your own interests and goals. Our MChem degree courses are accredited by the Royal Society of Chemistry and provide a path for students to become Chartered Chemists. Specialised degrees such as Chemistry with Medicinal Chemistry involve experts from the pharmaceutical industry and expose you to challenges in therapeutic drug discovery. Our strong links with industry and universities worldwide provide opportunities for you to undertake funded Summer Research Projects and seek 3–6 or 12 month placements in industry to build your CV and increase employability.
Investment in facilities
Warwick Chemistry is a vibrant department with one of the newest undergraduate teaching laboratories, equipped with state-of-the-art instrumentation. Major investment has provided outstanding infrastructure for both undergraduate study and research, including a High Field NMR and Ion Cyclotron Centre and most recently, a £24m interdisciplinary centre for Materials and Analytical Science.
The Department was ranked joint sixth in the national assessment of UK Research Excellence (Research Excellent Framework exercise: REF 2014), whilst 98% of the our research was classified as “world-leading” or “internationally excellent”. Furthermore, the Department’s Engineering and Physical Science Research Council (EPSRC) research portfolio is one of the largest in the UK and being subject to peer review is a measure of the quality and significance of our research.
*National Student Survey 2016