Dr Jose Ortiz-Gonzalez
J dot A dot Ortiz-Gonzalez at warwick dot ac dot uk
+44 (0)24 7657 3346
Dr Jose Angel Ortiz Gonzalez is an assistant professor at the School of Engineering. His research topics are aligned with the Power Electronics Applications and Technology in Energy Research (PEATER) group.
He has a BEng degree in Electrical Engineering in 2009 from the University of Vigo and the PhD in Electrical Engineering from the University of Warwick in 2017. He is the author or co-author of more than 80 journal and conference papers, with 26 as first author. He has worked as Research Assistant and Research Fellow in several EPSRC and Innovate UK (projects both at the UoW (UK) and University of Vigo (Spain)). His expertise is in power semiconductor device characterisation, reliability and condition monitoring in power electronics, including the development of the first pressure-packaged Silicon Carbide (SiC) power devices in the UK. Dr Ortiz Gonzalez also developed strong industrial collaborations with companies like AVL Powertrain Ltd, which have sponsored undergraduate research projects that he supervised and Bourns Ltd, which collaborated on a project for characterisation of power devices (including a £30k EPSRC-funded knowledge transfer project). He has worked on research projects with Dynex Semiconductors UK Ltd, Turbo Power Systems UK Ltd, Amantys Ltd and Borgwarner UK. Dr Ortiz Gonzalez is a Researcher Co-Investigator on a major £1.2M EPSRC project in Power Electronics (EP/R004366/1) and acted as the Reliability session chair at the EPE Power Electronics Conference in 2018, 2019 and 2020. Dr Ortiz Gonzalez has engaged in several collaborative research projects including ‘Power Electronics Reliability and Health Management’ (EP/R004366/1) with the Universities of Bristol, Newcastle and Nottingham, ‘Components Integration in Power Electronics’ (EP/K034804/1) with Manchester, Greenwich, Nottingham, Bristol, Imperial College, ‘High Current Module and Technologies Optimised for HVDC’ (EP/L021579/1) with Universities of Cambridge and Edinburgh), and ‘Pressure-package assemblies for SiC devices’ funded by the Centre for Power Electronics HUB, with Nottingham, Imperial College and Greenwich Universities.
Over the last years, Dr Ortiz Gonzalez has presented his work at the premier conferences in power electronics and power semiconductor devices. He organised a joint tutorial with Aalborg University at the EPE 2019 conference in Genoa, Italy titled ‘Prospects for Condition Monitoring Implementation in SiC Power MOSFETs’. He was part of the technical committee of the IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Expo (ECCE) 2021 Conference.
Dr Ortiz Gonzalez is a reviewer of IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, IET Power Electronics and Elsevier Microelectronics Reliability. He is an associate editor of the journal Elsevier Microelectronics Reliability
He is a member of the IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) and the IET (Institution of Engineering and Technology). Dr Ortiz Gonzalez is a member of the IEE Industrial Electronics Society (IES), IEEE Power Electronics Society (PELS) and IEEE Industry Applications Society (IAS) and a member of the PELS Technical Committee TC-2 (Power Components, Integration, and Power ICs), and IAS Power Electronic Devices and Components Committee (PEDCC).
He is the academic co-supervisor of the following PhD students:
Mr Nereus Agbo
Mr Burhan Etoz
Mr Simon Mendy
Mr Heaklig Ayala
Mr PJ Ahmadi
ES9ZB - Electrical Power Engineering Design Group Project - Module leader
ES327 - Individual Project He supervises/supervised 3rd year individual projects related with wide bandgap power electronics. If you have interest/want to propose any project, please contact him.
ES410 - Group project
Research InterestsPower Electronics, Wide Bandgap Power Semiconductors, Reliability and Health Monitoring
1. J. O. Gonzalez and O. Alatise, "Bias Temperature Instability and Junction Temperature Measurement Using Electrical Parameters in SiC Power MOSFETs," in IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 1664-1676, March-April 2021, doi: 10.1109/TIA.2020.3045120.
2. J. Ortiz Gonzalez and O. Alatise, "Impact of BTI-Induced Threshold Voltage Shifts in Shoot-Through Currents From Crosstalk in SiC MOSFETs," in IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 3279-3291, March 2021, doi: 10.1109/TPEL.2020.3012298.
3. J. O. Gonzalez, R. Wu, S. Jahdi and O. Alatise, "Performance and Reliability Review of 650 V and 900 V Silicon and SiC Devices: MOSFETs, Cascode JFETs and IGBTs," in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 67, no. 9, pp. 7375-7385, Sept. 2020, doi: 10.1109/TIE.2019.2945299.
4. J. Ortiz Gonzalez, R. Wu, S.N. Agbo, O. Alatise, “Robustness and reliability review of Si and SiC FET devices for more-electric-aircraft applications,” Microelectronics Reliability, Volumes 100–101, 2019, 113324, ISSN 0026-2714, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.microrel.2019.06.016.
5. J. Ortiz Gonzalez and O. Alatise, "Bias temperature instability and condition monitoring in SiC power MOSFETs," Microelectronics Reliability, vol. 88-90,pp. 557-562, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.microrel.2018.06.045.
6. J. A. O. González and O. Alatise, "A Novel Non-Intrusive Technique for BTI Characterization in SiC MOSFETs," in IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 5737-5747, June 2019, doi: 10.1109/TPEL.2018.2870067.
7. J. O. Gonzalez, O. Alatise, J. Hu, L. Ran and P. A. Mawby, "An Investigation of Temperature-Sensitive Electrical Parameters for SiC Power MOSFETs," in IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 32, no. 10, pp. 7954-7966, Oct. 2017, doi: 10.1109/TPEL.2016.2631447.
8. J. Ortiz Gonzalez et al., "Evaluation of SiC Schottky Diodes Using Pressure Contacts," in IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 64, no. 10, pp. 8213-8223, Oct. 2017, doi: 10.1109/TIE.2017.2677348.
1. J. O. Gonzalez, R. Wu and O. Alatise, "Trade-offs Between Gate Oxide Protection and Performance in SiC MOSFETs," 2020 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), 2020, pp. 690-697, doi: 10.1109/ECCE44975.2020.9235843.
2. J. O. Gonzalez, B. Etoz and O. Alatise, "Characterizing Threshold Voltage Shifts and Recovery in Schottky Gate and Ohmic Gate GaN HEMTs," 2020 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), 2020, pp. 217-224, doi: 10.1109/ECCE44975.2020.9235650
3. J. O. Gonzalez, B. Etoz and O. Alatise, "Gate stresses and threshold voltage instability in normally-OFF GaN HEMTs," 2020 22nd European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications (EPE'20 ECCE Europe), 2020, pp. P.1-P.10, doi: 10.23919/EPE20ECCEEurope43536.2020.9215865.
4. J. O. Gonzalez, O. Alatise and P. Mawby, "Non-Intrusive Methodologies for Characterization of Bias Temperature Instability in SiC Power MOSFETs," 2020 IEEE International Reliability Physics Symposium (IRPS), 2020, pp. 1-10, doi: 10.1109/IRPS45951.2020.9129637.
5. J. O. Gonzalez and O. Alatise, "Challenges of Junction Temperature Sensing in SiC Power MOSFETs," 2019 10th International Conference on Power Electronics and ECCE Asia (ICPE 2019 - ECCE Asia), 2019, pp. 891-898, doi: 10.23919/ICPE2019-ECCEAsia42246.2019.8797281.
6. J. O. Gonzalez and O. Alatise, "Impact of the Gate Oxide Reliability of SiC MOSFETs on the Junction Temperature Estimation Using Temperature Sensitive Electrical Parameters," 2018 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), 2018, pp. 837-844, doi: 10.1109/ECCE.2018.8557810.