Dr T Xu
Tianhua dot Xu at warwick dot ac dot uk
+44 (0) 24 7652 8698
Dr. Xu received his Ph.D. degree in the area of Optical Communications and Digital Signal Processing in School of Information and Communication Technology (ICT), at Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Sweden, 2012. Following this, he worked as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at KTH and RISE Acreo and a visiting Research Fellow at Technical University of Denmark (DTU) from 2012 to 2013. After that, he worked as a Senior Research Fellow in Optical Networks Group (ONG) at University College London (UCL) from 2013 to 2017.
His current research interests include optical communication networks, digital signal processing, information theory and nonlinear fibre optics. Dr. Xu has been the Chair of Optics in Digital Systems Technical Group in Optical Society of America, and the TPC co-chair/member of over 20 IEEE conferences, e.g. GLOBECOM, ICC, CLEO-PR etc. He has published over 100 journal and conference papers (including 20 invited) and 2 invited book chapters.
- Optical Communication Systems; Optical Transport Networks;
- Digital Signal Processing; Information Theory; Coding Theory for Nonlinear Optical Channels;
- Nonlinear Fibre Optics Transmission Properties in Linear and Nonlinear Networks;
- Transceiver Design for Linear and Nonlinear Systems;
- Optical Communication Systems and Networks
Full publication list can be found in my Google Scholar page.
- C. Jin, N. A. Shevchenko, Z. Li, S. Popov, Y. Chen, T. Xu, “Nonlinear coherent optical systems in the presence of equalization enhanced phase noise,” [IEEE/OSA] Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol.39(14), 4646-4653, 2021.
- T. Xu, N. A. Shevchenko, Y. Zhang, C. Jin, J. Zhao, T. Liu, “Information rates in Kerr nonlinearity limited optical fibre communication systems,” [OSA] Optics Express, Vol.29(11), 17428-17439, 2021.
- Z. Wang, Y. Liu, C. Gong, Z. Yuan, L. Sheng, P. Chang, K. Liu, T. Xu, J. Jiang, Y. Chen, T. Liu, “Liquid crystal -amplified optofluidic biosensor for ultra-highly sensitive and stable protein assay,” [Springer] PhotoniX, Vol.2, 18, 2021.
- J. Liu, T. Xu, “Theoretical analysis of non-reciprocal phase shift due to birefringence and topology in fiber ring interferometers,” [Elsevier] Optics and Laser Technology, Vol.142, 107249, 2021.
- Z. Wang, T. Xu, A. Noel, Y. Chen, T. Liu, “Applications of liquid crystals in biosensing,” Soft Matter, Vol.17, 4675-4702, 2021.
- W. Hu, Z. Wei, S. Popov, M. Leeson, M. Zhang, T. Xu, “Non-coherent detection for ultraviolet communications with inter-symbol interference,” [IEEE/OSA] Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol.38(17), 4699-4707, 2020.
- J. Liu, Y. Liu, T. Xu, “Analytical estimation of stress-induced birefringence in Panda-Type polarization-maintaining fibers,” IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol.32(24), 1507-1510, 2020.
- T. Xu, T. Xu, P. Bayvel, I. Darwazeh, “Non-orthogonal signal transmission over nonlinear optical channels,” IEEE Photonics Journal, Vol.11(3), 7203313, 2019.
- T. Xu, B. Karanov, N. A. Shevchenko, D. Lavery, G. Liga, R. I. Killey, P. Bayvel, “Digital nonlinearity compensation in high-capacity optical communication systems considering signal spectral broadening effect,” [Springer Nature] Scientific Reports, Vol.7, 12986, 2017.
- T. Xu, N. A. Shevchenko, D. Lavery, D. Semrau, G. Liga, A. Alvarado, R. I. Killey, P. Bayvel, “Modulation format dependence of digital nonlinearity compensation performance in optical fibre communication systems,” [OSA] Optics Express, Vol.25(4), 3311-3326, 2017.
- D. Semrau, T. Xu, N. A. Shevchenko, M. Paskov, A. Alvarado, R. I. Killey, P. Bayvel, “Achievable information rates estimates in optically amplified transmission systems using nonlinearity compensation and probabilistic shaping,” [OSA] Optics Letters, Vol.41(21), 121-124, 2017.
- T. Xu, G. Liga, D. Lavery, B. C. Thomson, S. J. Savory, R. I. Killey, P. Bayvel, “Equalization enhanced phase noise in Nyquist-spaced superchannel transmission systems using multi-channel digital back-propagation,” [Springer Nature] Scientific Reports, Vol.5, 13990, 2015.
- R. Maher, T. Xu, L. Galdino, M. Sato, A. Alvarado, K. Shi, S. J. Savory, B. C. Thomsen, R. I. Killey, P. Bayvel, “Spectrally shaped DP-16QAM super-channel transmission with multi-channel digital back propagation,” [Springer Nature] Scientific Reports, Vol.5, 08214, 2015.
- G. Liga, T. Xu, A. Alvarado, R. I. Killey, P. Bayvel, “On the performance of multichannel digital backpropagation in high-capacity long-haul optical transmission,” [OSA] Optics Express, Vol.22(24), 30053-30062, 2014.
- G. Jacobsen, T. Xu, S. Popov, S. Sergeyev, “Study of EEPN mitigation using modified RF pilot and Viterbi-Viterbi based phase noise compensation,” [OSA] Optics Express, Vol.21(10), 12351-12362, 2013.
- G. Jacobsen, T. Xu, S. Popov, J. Li, A. T. Friberg, Y. Zhang, “EEPN and CD study for coherent optical nPSK and nQAM systems with RF pilot based phase noise compensation,” [OSA] Optics Express, Vol.20(8), 8862-8870, 2012.
- T. Xu, G. Jacobsen, S. Popov, J. Li, A. T. Friberg, Y. Zhang, “Analytical estimation of phase noise influence in coherent transmission system with digital dispersion equalization,” [OSA] Optics Express, Vol.19(8), 7756-7768, 2011.
- G. Jacobsen, T. Xu, S. Popov, J. Li, A. T. Friberg, Y. Zhang, “Receiver implemented RF pilot tone phase noise mitigation in coherent optical nPSK and nQAM systems,” [OSA] Optics Express, Vol.19(15), 14487-14494, 2011.
- T. Xu, G. Jacobsen, S. Popov, J. Li, E. Vanin, K. Wang, A. T. Friberg, Y. Zhang, “Chromatic dispersion compensation in coherent transmission system using digital filters,” [OSA] Optics Express, Vol.18(15), 16243-16257, 2010.
Projects and Grants
|Horizon 2020 DIOR||European Commission||€ 338k|
Associate Editor of IEEE Access
Associate Editor of [Springer] Journal of the European Optical Society-RP
TPC Member of IEEE GLOBECOM
TPC Member of IEEE ICC