Choosing Warwick will give you the opportunity to maximise your career prospects.
- 98% of our 2018 graduates were in work or further study 15 months after graduation, of which 94% were in high skilled work 1
- The School of Engineering is 4th in the UK for career prospects 2
- Warwick is in the top 40 in the world for our reputation with employers 3
- Warwick is the 6th most targeted university by the UK's top 100 graduate employers 4
Placements & Internships
The School of Engineering has a dedicated Placement and Internship Officer who actively encourages students to gain relevant work experience through a summer internship or year-long placement as part of our optional intercalated suite of programmes.
They also provide guidance to help prepare you for the rigorous recruitment and selection procedures used by employers in the UK and overseas. Students with relevant work experience tend to fare much better in the graduate recruitment process as they can demonstrate greater skills, competencies, strengths and experiences.
Students can also opt to study abroad for a year, either by taking an intercalated year or via an exchange programme. Studying abroad provides an opportunity to live and study in a different cultural setting and can enhance the learning experience.
Alternatively, a Year in Research is an option for those who may want to develop a career in academia or a particular field of research.
Engineer Your Career
Recent placement and graduate destinations have included:
Already enrolled with us? Click here to access our Careers and Employability intranet and benefit from:
- Our exclusive Engineering placement, internship and graduate role vacancy database
- Booking 1-1 appointments with our Senior Careers Consultant link and Placement and Internship Officer through myAdvantage
- Alumni networking events and bespoke industry guest speaker sessions
- A wealth of resources and guidance to assist with every stage of your careers journey, from applications and psychometric testing through to interview tips and preparing for your first day
1 Derived from the Graduate Outcomes survey of 2017/18 graduates, carried out approximately 15 months after completion. Contains HESA data: Copyright Higher Education Statistics Agency Limited 2020. HESA cannot accept responsibility for any inference or conclusions derived by third parties from its data.
2 The Guardian’s Best Universities 2021; 'General Engineering' designation. Dataset as outlined in .
3 QS University World Rankings 2021
4 The Graduate Market in 2021, High Fliers Research Ltd
Engineer Your Future in the School of Engineering
My placement year gave me an incredible experience that I’ll never be able to recreate after this year. Working as an engineer and having real responsibilities opens your eyes to what you will use your degree for, and gives you the drive and motivation to come back and finish it so you can get back to the world of work!”
Roxy, placement student at Tetra Engineering, Nice, France
My placement has given me invaluable industry experience, and allows me to put an industry perspective on things learned in 4th year.”
Daniel, placement student at BMW Mini Plant, Oxford
After graduating, I started a graduate scheme with Ricardo as I had done my placement year with them, however I moved to a graduate scheme with Mercedes High Performance Powertrains to become a mechanical engineer. This involves working with the F1 team, Formula E team and on their Project ONE hypercar.”
Ben, BEng Mechanical Engineering graduate
What have other students done?
Discover more current student and alumni profiles in our Undergraduate Brochure.
Are you an Engineering graduate? Join our Warwick School of Engineering Alumni network on LinkedIn and connect with peers and staff, as well as gaining exclusive access to graduate opportunities.
Interested in working with our students? Click here to find out how we can collaborate to meet your business needs.