I am a public health registrar and honorary research fellow at the University of Warwick. I am interested in taking a mixed methods approach to understand the relationship between human health and the natural and built environment, with a particular focus on food policy, obesity and the social determinants of health
My current research focuses on exploring how public policy can support the development of a more sustainable food system; undertstanding how policy across government could be better aligned to address drivers of obesity; and exploring the impact of COVID-19 on the food system. I am also interested in exploring food system responses to the onging impacts of climate change.
I am a Public Health Registrar on the West Midlands public health training scheme, working between the University of Warwick, local authority public health teams and the Department for Health and Social Care. I work on the development of a range of public health interventions, from promoting active travel to reducing exposure to air pollution and improving dietary behaviour. I previosuly worked as a senior policy adviser with Toronto Public Health where I took an 'action research' approach in developing a healthier and more sustainable food system. I have a Masters' in Public Health and completed a PhD at the University of Birmingham exploring the impacts of climate change on pollination and food production.
- 'Coleman, Paul, 'Hanson, Petra, 'Van Rens, Thijs, 'Oyebode, Oyinlola, 2022. 'A rapid review of the evidence for children?s TV and online advertisement restrictions to fight obesity. Preventive Medicine Reports, 26
- 'Coleman, Paul, 'Pailing, Adam, 'Roy, Anjana, 'O?Moore, ?amonn, 'Chandan, Joht Singh, 'Lumby, Victoria, 'Newton, Paul N., 'Taylor, Anna K., 'Robinson, Esther R., 'Swindells, Jonathon, 'Dowle, Sarah, 'Gajraj, Roger, 2022. 'Implementation of novel and conventional outbreak control measures in managing COVID-19 outbreaks in a large UK prison. BMC Public Health, 22 (1)
- 'Coleman, Paul, 'Dhaif, Fatima, 'Oyebode, Oyinlola, 2022. 'Food shortages, stockpiling and panic buying ahead of Brexit as reported by the British media : a mixed methods content analysis. BMC Public Health, 22 (1)
- 'Coleman, Paul, 'Barber, Thomas M., 'Van Rens, Thijs, 'Hanson, Petra, 'Coffey, Alice, 'Oyebode, Oyinlola, 2022. 'COVID-19 outcomes in minority ethnic groups : do obesity and metabolic risk play a role?. Current Obesity Reports, 11, pp. 107-115
- 'Squires, Charlotte Gallagher, 'Coleman, Paul, 'Isaacs, Anna, 'Hawkes, Corinna, 2022. 'OP89 How can childhood obesity prevention policy be more effective and equitable following the COVID-19 pandemic?. Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health, 76 (Supplement 1)
- 'Coleman, Paul, 'Gultig, John, 'Emanuel, Barbara, 'Gee, Marianne, 'Orpana, Heather, 2018. 'Status report - FoodReach Toronto : lowering food costs for social agencies and community groups. Health Promotion and Chronic Disease Prevention in Canada, 38 (1), pp. 23-28
- 'Widener, Michael J., 'Minaker, Leia, 'Farber, Steven, 'Allen, Jeff, 'Vitali, Brigitte, 'Coleman, Paul, 'Cook, Brian, 2017. 'How do changes in the daily food and transportation environments affect grocery store accessibility?. Applied Geography, 83, pp. 46-62
- 'L?pez-Mart?nez, Giancarlo, 'Coleman, Paul, 'Bale, Jeffrey S., 'Hayward, Scott A. L., 2015. 'Meat feeding restricts rapid cold hardening response and increases thermal activity thresholds of adult blow flies, Calliphora vicina (Diptera: Calliphoridae). PLoS One, 10 (7)
- 'Coleman, Paul, 'Bale, Jeffrey S., 'Hayward, Scott A. L., 2014. 'Cross generation plasticity in cold hardiness is associated with diapause, but not the non-diapause developmental pathway, in the blowfly, Calliphora vicina. Journal of Experimental Biology, 217 (9), pp. 1454-1461
- Coleman, Paul, Murphy, Luke, Nyman, Marcus, Oyebode, Oyinlola, 2021. Operationalising the EAT? Lancet Commissions' targets to achieve healthy and sustainable diets. The Lancet Planetary Health, Elsevier, pp. e398-e399
- 'Coleman, Paul, 'Chandan, J. S., 'Ogunlayi, F., 2020. 'Restructuring Public Health England : public health is about more than being prepared for future pandemics. British Medical Journal, BMJ Group