Behaviour, ecology and control of vectors, particularly tsetse flies and mosquitoes; Human African Trypanosomiasis; Malaria; Animal African Trypanosomiasis; integrated vector management.
I continue to work on basic and applied aspects of vector behaviour and ecology. My current interests include:- analysis of risk factors related to Rhodesian sleeping sickness in East and Southern Africa; assessment of the impact of insecticide-treated targets on tsetse populations in Kenya and Uganda; development and use of models to predict the costs and impact of tsetse control on Rhodesian and Gambian sleeping sickness; ovipostion behaviour of Anopheles gambiae s.l. in Kenya and the host-orientated behaviour of the vectors of Plasmodium knowlesi malaria in Malaysia and the Philippines.
I have over 30 years experience of work on the behaviour, ecology of control vectors, with particular emphasis on tsetse flies and mosquitoes.
My initial training was in zoology (B.Sc, Royal Holloway College, 1980) and Applied Entomology (M.Sc, Imperial College, 1981). In 1981, I joined the Zimbabwe Tsetse and Trypanosomiasis Control Branch where I worked on the host-orientated behaviour of tsetse flies, and contributed to the development of odour-baited targets to attract and kill tsetse. My work on tsetse behaviour formed the basis of my PhD (University of London, 1987).
In 1986, I joined the UK government?s Tropical Development Research Institute (subsequently the Natural Resources Institute of the University of Greenwich) and was involved in the early large-scale use of baits to control tsetse in Zimbabwe and Somalia and led a Zimbabwe-based team (1991-1994) carrying out applied research to improve the cost-effectiveness of using odour-baited targets and insecticide-treated cattle to control tsetse.
In 1994, I returned to the UK where I led the development of NRI?s medical and veterinary entomology programme. Areas of research included: the use of DNA markers to assess the feeding patterns of tsetse, Stomoxys and mosquitoes; improved use of insecticide-treated cattle to control tsetse and malaria mosquitoes in sub-Saharan Africa; development of artificial baits to control species of tsetse which transmit Gambian sleeping sickness in Central and West Africa; analysis of the impact of large-scale tsetse control operations in Botswana, Tanzania and Zimbabwe, and development of simulation models and decision support systems to assist in the design, implementation and monitoring of tsetse control operations.
In March 2013, I took up a joint position of Professor in Neglected Tropical Diseases at the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine and The University of Warwick. I am part of the Centre for Applied Health Research (CAHRD) at LSTM and Warwick Medical School.
- Vale, Glyn A., Hargrove, John W., Chamisa, Andrew, Grant, Ian F., Torr, Stephen J., 2015. Pyrethroid treatment of cattle for tsetse control : reducing its impact on dung fauna. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, 9 (3)
- Albert, Mugenyi, Wardrop, Nicola A., Atkinson, Peter M., Torr, Stephen J., Welburn, Sue, 2015. Tsetse Fly (G.f. fuscipes) distribution in the Lake Victoria Basin of Uganda. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, 9 (4), pp. 1-14
- Macpherson, Eleanor E., Adams, Emily R., Bockarie, Moses J., Hollingsworth, T. Déirdre, Kelly-Hope, Louise A., Lehane, Mike, Kovacic, Vanja, Harrison, Robert A., Paine, Mark J. I., Reimer, Lisa J., Torr, Stephen J., 2015. Mass drug administration and beyond : how can we strengthen health systems to deliver complex interventions to eliminate neglected tropical diseases?. BMC Proceedings, 9 (Supplement 10)
- Reimer, Lisa J., Adams, Emily R., Paine, Mark J. I., Ranson, Hilary, Coleman, Marlize, Thomsen, Edward K., MacPherson, Eleanor E., Hollingsworth, T. Déirdre, Kelly-Hope, Louise A., Bockarie, Moses J., Ford, Louise, Harrison, Robert A., Stothard, J., Taylor, Mark J., Hamon, Nicholas, Torr, Stephen J., 2015. Fit for purpose : do we have the right tools to sustain NTD elimination?. BMC Proceedings, 9 (Supplement 10)
- Okal, Michael N, Lindh, Jenny M, Torr, Stephen J., Masinde, Elizabeth, Orindi, Benedict, Lindsay, Steve W, Fillinger, Ulrike, 2015. Analysing the oviposition behaviour of malaria mosquitoes : design considerations for improving two-choice egg count experiments. Malaria Journal, 14 (1)
- Dugassa, Sisay, Lindh, Jenny M, Torr, Steve, Lindsay, Steven W, Fillinger, Ulrike, 2014. Evaluation of the influence of electric nets on the behaviour of oviposition site seeking Anopheles gambiae s.s. Parasites & Vectors, 7 (1)
- Vale, Glyn A., Hargrove, John W., Solano, Philippe, Courtin, Fabrice, Rayaisse, Jean-Baptiste, Lehane, M. J., Esterhuizen, Johan, Tirados, Inaki, Torr, Stephen J., 2014. Explaining the host-finding behavior of blood-sucking insects : computerized simulation of the effects of habitat geometry on tsetse fly movement. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, 8 (6)
- Kovacic, Vanja, Tirados, Inaki, Esterhuizen, Johan, Mangwiro, Clement T. N., Torr, Stephen J., Lehane, M. J., Smith, Helen, 2013. Community acceptance of Tsetse control baits : a qualitative study in Arua District, North West Uganda. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, 7 (12)
- Vale, Glyn A., Hargrove, John W., Chamisa, Andrew, Hall, D. R., Mangwiro, Clement, Torr, Stephen J., 2013. Factors affecting the propensity of tsetse flies to enter houses and attack humans inside : increased risk of sleeping sickness in warmer climates. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, 7 (4)
- Kamhawi, Shaden, Auty, Harriet K., Picozzi, Kim, Malele, Imna, Torr, Stephen J., Cleaveland, Sarah, Welburn, Sue, 2012. Using molecular data for epidemiological inference : assessing the prevalence of trypanosoma brucei rhodesiense in tsetse in Serengeti, Tanzania. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, 6 (1)
- Achee, Nicole L., Bangs, Michael J., Farlow, Robert, Killeen, Gerry F., Lindsay, Steve, Logan, James G., Moore, Sarah J., Rowland, Mark, Sweeney, Kevin, Torr, Steve, Zwiebel, Laurence J., Grieco, John P, 2012. Spatial repellents : from discovery and development to evidence-based validation. Malaria Journal, 11 (1)
- Solano, Philippe, Hargrove, John W., Ouifki, Rachid, Kajunguri, Damian, Vale, Glyn A., Torr, Stephen J., 2012. Modeling the control of trypanosomiasis using trypanocides or insecticide-Treated livestock. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, 6 (5)
- Shaw, A. P. M., Torr, Stephen J., Waiswa, C., Cecchi, G., Wint, G. R. W., Mattioli, Raffaele C., Robinson, Timothy P., 2013. Reply to the letter to the editor by Bouyer et al. (2013). Preventive Veterinary Medicine, Elsevier, pp. 447-449