Olga Young is a former PhD student in the Superconductivity and Magnetism Group at Warwick, who worked with Dr Oleg Petrenko.
Olga's thesis is entitled Magnetic properties of two geometrically frustrated compounds: SrHo2O4 and SrGd2O4, (Thesis pdf 28.8 MB).
Olga is primarily interested in the experimental investigation of strongly correlated electron systems, such as geometrically frustrated magnets and quantum critical phenomena. Since such systems often have several competing degrees of freedom, they exhibit fundamentally new behaviour that cannot be successfully described by conventional theories.
During her time at Warwick, Olga was a demonstrator in the undergraduate Microprocessors Lab and won the Physics Department Postgraduate Poster competition in 2011.
Having completed her PhD studies Olga accepted a postdoctoral position at the High Field Magnet Laboratory in Nijmegen. In 2019 Olga returned to the Physics Department as a Research Fellow working with Dr Gavin Morley.
Phys. Rev. B 92, 094415 (2015).
O. Young, G. Balakrishnan, M. R. Lees and O. A. Petrenko,
Phys. Rev. B 90, 094421 (2014).
T. J. Hayes, O. Young, G. Balakrishnan and O. A. Petrenko,
Demonstrator - 2nd year labs (2009-2011).
- EX3: Crystallography
- EX4: Magnetism in Condensed Matter
- MM3: Density Functional Theory
- EX0: Probes of Condensed Matter
- MR1: Foundations of Magnetic Resonance
- MR2: Magnetic Resonance Hardware
- AS1: An introduction to scientific computing with Python
- IOP Low Temperature Techniques - 4th November 2009
- ISIS Neutron Training School - 4-13th May 2010
- ILL FullProf School - 24-29th January 2011
- Warwick Introduction to Microscopy course - 20-22nd July 2011
- IOP Condensed Matter and Materials Physics (CMMP) - Warwick, UK - 15-17th December 2009
- Flipper 2010 - Grenoble, France - 26-29th January 2010
- Theoretical and Experimental Magnetism Meeting - Abingdon, UK - 8-9th September 2010
- Theoretical and Experimental Magnetism Meeting - ISIS, UK - 16-17th June 2011
- SCES 2011 - Cambridge, UK - 29th September - 3rd October 2011 (Poster Presentation)
- HFM 2012 - Hamilton, Canada - 4-8th June 2012 (Poster)
- ICM 2012 - Busan, S Korea - 8-13th July 2012 (Contributed Talk)
- Theoretical and Experimental Magnetism Meeting - Abingdon, UK - 4-5th July 2013 (Talk)