Where are they now?
Some of the successful PhDs supervised by David Firth are listed below with their current positions.
Supervising research students is, for me, one of the real pleasures of academic life. PhD students don't just write an interesting thesis on a specialized topic area, they also discover what research is all about — it's a way of thinking, and a great preparation for imaginative and influential work after graduation. Some of my former PhD students whose current positions I know about are listed below.
As of January 2017:
- Kathleen Bennett (PhD Southampton, 1994)
Associate Professor, Trinity College Dublin
- Rory Wolfe (PhD Southampton, 1996)
Professor, Monash University
- Nick Banks (DPhil Oxford, 1999)
Senior Development Manager, Centre for Sustainable Energy, Bristol
- Renée de Menezes (DPhil Oxford, 1999)
Lecturer, VU Medical Center, Amsterdam
- Jamie Sergeant (DPhil Oxford, 2007)
Lecturer, University of Manchester
- Ioannis Kosmidis (PhD Warwick, 2007)
Senior Lecturer, University College London
- Helen Ogden (PhD Warwick, 2013)
Lecturer, University of Southampton
- Apostolos Gkatzionis (PhD Warwick, 2016)
Career Development Fellow, MRC Biostatistics Unit, Cambridge
- Fiona Sammut (PhD Warwick, 2017; pictured below)
Lecturer, University of Malta
- Google Scholar. ResearcherID and Depsy profiles
- potential PhD projects
- former PhD students
- unpublished or hard-to-find papers
- Appointments with tutees: Thursday 28 April 2018 (in week 10 of term). Normal office hours (Term 3, 2017–18, starting Mon 30 April): Monday 1030–1130, Wednesday 1530–1630.
Election exit pollsDavid's research work is behind the accurate exit-poll predictions that have been made at the last five UK general elections (in 2001, 2005, 2010, 2015 and 2017). For more details see exit polling explained.
Far-reaching statistical theory!What connects all these: nuclear weapons, rattlesnakes, coral, pneumonia, cancer, basketball?
Email: d dot firth at warwick dot ac dot uk
Voice: 44 (0)247 657 4855
PGP public key: df-key.txt
|Professor D Firth
Dept of Statistics
University of Warwick
Coventry, CV4 7AL
Office location: D0.03, Zeeman building
Normal office hours: (Term 3 2017–18, starting Mon 30 April): Monday 1030–1130, Wednesday 1530–1630. Office hour on Monday 14 May is CANCELLED.