Where are they now?
Some of the successful PhDs supervised by David Firth are listed below with their current positions.
Supervising research students is, for me, one of the real pleasures of academic life. PhD students don't just write an interesting thesis on a specialized topic area, they also discover what research is all about — it's a way of thinking, and a great preparation for imaginative and influential work after graduation. Some of my former PhD students whose current positions I know about are listed below.
As of October 2018:
- Kathleen Bennett (PhD Southampton, 1994)
Associate Professor, Trinity College Dublin
- Rory Wolfe (PhD Southampton, 1996)
Professor, Monash University
- Nick Banks (DPhil Oxford, 1999)
Senior Development Manager, Centre for Sustainable Energy, Bristol
- Renée de Menezes (DPhil Oxford, 1999)
Lecturer, VU Medical Center, Amsterdam
- Jamie Sergeant (DPhil Oxford, 2007)
Lecturer, University of Manchester
- Ioannis Kosmidis (PhD Warwick, 2007)
Reader, University of Warwick
- Helen Ogden (PhD Warwick, 2013)
Lecturer, University of Southampton
- Apostolos Gkatzionis (PhD Warwick, 2016)
Research Associate, MRC Biostatistics Unit, Cambridge
- Fiona Sammut (PhD Warwick, 2017; pictured below)
Head of Statistics and O.R., University of Malta
- Google Scholar. ResearcherID and Depsy profiles
- potential PhD projects
- former PhD students
- unpublished or hard-to-find papers
- Appointments with tutees: Monday 14 January and Tuesday 15 January 2019 (in week 2 of term). Normal office hours (Term 2, 2018–19, starting Mon 7 Jan):
- Mondays 1030–1130
- Wednesdays 1530–1630.
Election exit pollsDavid's research work is behind the accurate exit-poll predictions that have been made at the last five UK general elections (in 2001, 2005, 2010, 2015 and 2017). For more details see exit polling explained.
Far-reaching statistical theory!What connects all these: nuclear weapons, rattlesnakes, coral, pneumonia, cancer, basketball?
Email: d dot firth at warwick dot ac dot uk
Voice: 44 (0)247 657 4855
PGP public key: df-key.txt
|Professor D Firth
Dept of Statistics
University of Warwick
Coventry, CV4 7AL
Office location: MSB 4.06, new Mathematical Sciences building.