How to apply...
Once you've found a vacancy you're interested in, the link will take you straight through to the vacancy in the University's job portal. Here you will be able to read the role description and person specification, and apply online by clicking 'Apply Now' at the bottom of the vacancy details.
Frequently asked questions
"I've heard that there is a lot of recruitment happening within WMG, but there aren’t many jobs being advertised?"
As we continue to grow, and work in partnership with organisations, we put in more and more bids for funding to be able to continue with our work. These bids take time to process, therefore vacancies can take time to advertise.
"I’m concerned that the vacancy I’m interested in is only on a fixed term basis"
The nature of funding often means that it is only available on a time-limited basis. However, as we are continually putting in bids for other funding for our work to be able to continue, there are often extensions to contracts, or other positions available from other funding. Although there are no guarantees, it is not often that a contract comes to an end without other opportunities being available.
"If I’m on a fixed term contract, am I eligible for all the same benefits as permanent staff?"
Yes, being on a temporary contract does not make a difference. Full details of benefits are available here.
The application process...
- Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to complete your application and submit before the closing date. Closing dates are listed at the bottom of each vacancy.
- Applications must be made online through the University's portal system. You can start your application by clicking the 'Apply Now' button at the end of the role information.
- Because we know it takes time to put together and perfect an application, the system allows you to save it part-completed and return to it later. But you must remember to press SAVE on the page you are working on if you want to exit and return to it at a later date.
- Take care when completing the form, accuracy is important. Remember this is our first impression of you, and how the information is presented is important.
- Please make sure you've completed the form in full before you submit your final version. Once it's submitted, you can no longer edit it.
Tell us about yourself
The supporting statement of the online form is your chance to tell us why you are suitable for the role. To give yourself the best chance of getting that all important interview, make sure you've read and understood the role and the person specification. You'll need to demonstrate how you meet each of the essential/desirable criteria, detailing the skills and experience that you have that closely match what we are looking for.
You will also have the opportunity to include a CV that highlights your skills and achievements in your career to date. Make sure that it clearly identifies your work history and qualifications, and ensure that all information is relevant and up to date.
- Make sure you review the requirements of the job role before attending interview.
- Be clear on why you have applied for the role and what you can bring to WMG.
- Be prepared to give specific examples of things that you have done in the past. It may help to prepare some example answers that relate to the criteria listed on the person specification.
- Make sure that you are able to demonstrate how your key skills match what we are looking for.
- If you're asked to give a presentation, we recommend you practice it in advance so that you're comfortable with both the content and the timings. It will be important to remain within the time limit you're given.
- Finally, remember the interview is a two-way process, it is also your opportunity to find out more about the job and us. If you have specific questions, please bring them with you, you will be given a chance to ask them at the end of the interview.
In the interview
- Answer questions as fully as you can, but resist the urge to waffle.
- Be clear and concise, and always try to provide an example to demonstrate your experience and skills.
- If you don’t understand a question, or want it repeating, please ask.
- If you feel nervous, take your time. Remember, everyone involved in the process has been a WMG applicant at some stage. It’s in our interests to bring out the best in you, to enable you to demonstrate why you are the best candidate for the role.