On Sunday 25 October 2009 the Coventry Half Marathon route will be coming through campus.
In 2009, the Coventry Half Marathon and Mercia Mile are all about achieving a personal goal whether its completing the Mercia Mile or the 13.1 mile Half Marathon. The Mercia Mile is open to absolutely anyone and is a great option for those wishing to walk, run or jog a shorter distance or take part with their children.
The Coventry Half Marathon and Mercia Mile is supported by the City Council and local Businesses in and around Coventry.
For further information on both the Coventry Half Marathon and the Mercia Mile visit the official website.
The following roads, routes and car parks on and around campus will be closed:
- Kirby Corner Road
- University Road (one-way system in place from before car park 15 to Gibbet Hill Road in that direction)
- Health Centre Road (all vehicles must be removed by midnight on Friday 17 October)
- Gibbet Hill Road (from the entrance to Gibbet Hill Campus to the Kenilworth Road)
The only way on to campus will be via Westwood Heath Road.
Vehicle access to the following areas of campus will be blocked (except to emergency vehicles):
- Westwood (beyond car park 14)
- Car park 13
- Gibbet Hill
- Car park 1 & 1a
- Car park 6
- Car parks 8 & 8a
- Car park 15
- Car park 12
The car parks will be closed from midnight on Saturday and the roads will be closed from early Sunday morning. It will not be possible to move any cars still in a car park after midnight on Saturday until after the race.
The restrictions will be in place until at least 13:00. The route, and therefore the restrictions, may still be subject to alterations.
For the full Marathon route, see http://coventryhalf.com/routes/
The Route Through Campus
- From Charter Avenue through the rear gates at Norfolk Terrace onto Westwood campus
- Past Bericote and off Westwood at Willow
- Along and across Kirby Corner Road and left along the path down the side of University House
- Along the Boulevard to University Road
- Down Health Centre Road, turning right into Rootes residences J-P
- Turning left by International House
- Up through Tocil Woods to Gibbet Hill
- Out of Gibbet Hill along the Gibbet Hill Road to the Kenilworth Road
Off Campus Road Closures & Diversions
- 9.30am - 1pm Canley
Charter Avenue between Wolfe Road and Sir Henry Parkes Road (A45 bound side of dual carriageway open from John Rous Avenue to Sir Henry Parkes Road)
- 9.45am - 1pm Westwood/Cannon Park
Kirby Corner Road (access open to Westwood Campus car park from the Cannon Park end and access to athletics track via alternative parking from the Westwood Heath end)
- 9.45am - 1.30pm Kenilworth Road
Gibbet Hill Road (access is available to the University from Westwood Heath Road, traffic will be one way from the Cryfield (carpark 2) roundabout exiting only away from the University to the Kenilworth Road) (access is also available from Moreall Meadows from Heritage Court to Riverford Croft) Kenilworth Road (between Gibbet Hill Road and A45)
For the latest traffic updates, see http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/about/visiting/traffic
For further information on the Coventry Half Marathon visit http://coventryhalf.com/
Disruption to bus routes
For information on Travel West Midlands services, visit http://www.travelwm.co.uk/ or contact them on 0121 254 7272
For information on Stagecoach services, visit http://www.stagecoachbus.com/region_7.html or contact them on 01788 535555 between 0900 and 1500, Monday to Friday.