Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Important matters to be aware of when arranging a placement

  1. Before signing a contract (for employment, accommodation, or anything else) ensure you read the small print thoroughly. If you have any concerns, you should arrange to have the contract checked by the Advice and Welfare team in the Students’ Union.

  2. For travel outside the UK you will need to ensure that you have your own travel insurance. For students whose placement is within the EEA or Switzerland you will need to apply for an EHIC card (the replacement for the E111 form). You can do this online at Get healthcare cover for travelling abroad - NHSBSA.

  3. Students on placement are not covered by the University’s Public Liability insurance (unless specifically stated to the contrary). As such you are advised to ensure that the provider of the placement provides insurance cover for you in this respect. Where the provider does not provide such cover you are strongly recommended to take out such cover personally. Endsleigh Insurance is the only insurance company recommended by the National Union of Students (NUS) in the UK, though it may be worth shopping around to see if equivalent cover is available from other providers. Students working in France should further note that employment provided under the Convention de Stage is highly unlikely to provide such cover and you should expect to arrange this cover yourself.