Skip to main content Skip to navigation


During their first year of study students may be permitted to restart their course the in the following academic year if their first attempt has been affected by issues beyond their control (e.g. if medical problems or personal factors negatively affected their ability to study). Students in their first year of study may also be permitted to restart University the following year on a different course if they find their first choice was not the right one for them. Students allowed to restart will be treated as a new student when they return.

When a request from an undergraduate student is approved it means that the student's record will be closed and their information will be passed to the Student Admissions and Recruitment Office. Approval to restart rests with the Academic Registrar delegated to the Student Records Team. However, the department in supporting the request for a restart is confirming that there is a place for the student on the course. It is possible for restart requests to be refused if the course (or the University as a whole) is full.

Restarts are uncommon at postgraduate level and whilst most will also recommence at the start of the subsequent Autumn Term, where the course has multiple entry points a student may restart with any other cohort. The process will be as above.

In addition it should be noted that International students will require a new CAS to be issued as their sponsorship will be withdrawn when they leave the original course. Any CAS which may be required would be issued by the Student Admissions & Recruitment Office.

The Student Records team will confirm to the student via email the outcome of their request to restart. All such emails will be copied to the Departmental contact (email). Prior to their return date, the Student Admissions and Recruitment Office will correspond with the student.

Please request a restart using Student Records Requests in Student Records Online



It is important that you keep us informed of any change in your contact details, particularly your current email address, so that we can ensure that you receive updates with regard to your status with the University. You can let us know of any changes by emailing (undergraduate) or via the Postgraduate Enquiry Form


If you are living in University campus accommodation you are required to vacate your room and return your keys to Student Services, Senate House. Any refund of rent will be calculated from the date of your withdrawal or the date you vacated your accommodation and returned your room keys, whichever is the later. This does not apply to University off-campus accommodation. If you have any questions about your departure from your accommodation please contact Warwick Accommodation at Student Services, Senate House or on +44 (0)24 76 523772 or by email to accommodation at warwick dot ac dot uk.


If you are studying at the University under a Tier 4 Visa this change to your record will affect your immigration status and your permission to remain in the UK. Please note that if you have been issued with a Warwick Tier 4 Certificate of Acceptance to Study (CAS), the University is required to notify the Home Office of any change to your enrolment status. The approval of your request to restart your course next year will result in the University withdrawing your CAS, which will mean that you no longer have a valid Tier 4 sponsor. For this and any other visa issues you are advised to seek confidential advice regarding your visa status from the Student Opportunity Office's Immigration and Compliance Team Information about the visa implications of changing your student status is available from:


You are advised that the change of status detailed in the email you received from the University may affect whether you remain eligible for a Council Tax exemption. You are strongly advised to contact the relevant local authority's Council Tax office for further guidance. Please also note that if the local authority determines that you must now pay Council Tax you may be eligible for a discount if all other residents in your house have student exemptions. You must make those you share with aware of this change to your status as it may also affect any student disregard they have applied for.


You are welcome to make use of the University's Student Support services which includes the Senior Tutor, Disability Services, the Mental Health Team, the Counselling Service and Student Opportunity. More information can be found online at: or you can call in person to their office which is on the ground floor of University House.

International students may also access the support services provided by Student Opportunity including advice on matters regarding immigration and UK visas. Full information may be found online at:


The Students' Union also offers independent advice and guidance via its Student Advice Centre. More information may be found online at or by calling +44 (0)24 76 2824.


Prior to the start of the new academic year you will receive information from the Student Admissions and Recruitment Office about resuming your studies and requesting confirmation that you will be taking up the offer of a place. You are strongly urged to carefully read this correspondence so that your place next academic year can be secured. Should you need to contact the Student Admissions and Recruitment Office you may do so by telephoning +44 (0)24 76 523723 (for undergraduate enquiries) or +44 (0)24 76 524585 (for postgraduate enquiries).