The University environmental targets are reviewed regularly.
You may also want to take a look at our Environmental Statement of PrinciplesLink opens in a new window , as signed by Director of Estates, James Breckon.
Carbon Emissions and Discharges:
- Net-zero carbon emissions from energy by 2030 (scope 1 + 2).
Net zero all emissions by 2050.
- Reduce - cut the overall volume of waste generated by 1% per annum between 2021 and 2025.
- Reuse - we want to double the volume of donations by 31st July 2025.
- Recycle - increase recycling rates to 50% by 31st July 2025 and 65% by 31st July 2035.
- Recover - ensure we achieve a minimum disposal via Waste to Energy and maintain 0% to landfill annually.
- Recover - disposal of 100% of waste cooking oil sustainably, for re-use/ conversion into bio-fuel annually.
- Communicate annually to all University users the University recycling and waste disposal practices.
- Improve monitoring system to gain greater knowledge of Construction waste by 31st December 2022.
- Aim to achieve a 2% rolling reduction per FTE in water consumption per annum by 31st December 2030.
Travel and Transport:
- Aim to increase the percentage of students/ staff commuting by sustainable modes of transport by 31st December 2022.
- Introduce at least one high profile environmentally friendly transport initiative per annum.
- Progress on Flexible Framework towards level 3 by end 2022 and progress on level 4.
Continue supporting supply chain environmental sustainability journey through NetPositives.
- Define priority actions and measures and initiate action plan for scope 3 by 31st December 2022.
- For information on Food targets please visit the CCSG Food SustainabilityLink opens in a new window page.
- Establish Biodiversity baseline for main campus by 31st December 2022.
- Implement a number of biodiversity improvement projects on an annual basis between 2022 and 2025.
- Raise awareness and incentivise behaviour change. Increased social media by +5% / expand City-wide Green Week event / support university welcome week by end 2022.