- In line with our security and support policies, POP and IMAP protocols are not available to new IT accounts and associated mailboxes (2020 onwards).
- Customers with older accounts and mailboxes using POP or IMAP should be aware that Microsoft is deprecating Basic Authentication for multiple protocols including POP and IMAP. Basic Authentication is superseded by Modern Authentication (based on OAuth 2.0) and this is not supported by many client email applications.
- We are unable to provide support in the configuration of POP an IMAP in the plethora of clients available; we offer only the general guidance below.
Configuring POP3 and IMAP (incoming mail)
Your Office 365 mailbox can only be accessed through a secure connection. Your mail client must support POP and IMAP through TLS connections.
- IMAP server: outlook.office365.com, port 993, encryption method TLS
- Incoming POP3 server: outlook.office365.com, port 995, encryption method TLS
Login using your firstname.lastname@example.org and password.
Note: The first time you connect using POP3, a copy of every message will be retrieved. Bear this in mind if you have a large amount of mail in your account, as it could take a long time and also take up a lot of space.
Furthermore, some email clients will default to downloading messages from Office 365, removing them from the server and keeping the only copy locally on your device. This scenario should be avoided by configuring such email clients not to “download from server” (wording may vary).
Configuring SMTP (outgoing mail)
- Outgoing SMTP server: smtp.office365.com, port 587, encryption method STARTTLS
You will need to authenticate so tick the authentication box if there is one and login using your email@example.com and password.
Looking up email addresses with LDAP
If your mail client has the ability to query an LDAP server, you may also wish to configure it to look up email addresses in the University's LDAP server, the address of which is: addressbook.warwick.ac.uk
The Base DN to use is: DC=addressbook,DC=local
You will also need to use a bind DN of <username>@live.warwick.ac.uk (replacing <username> with your username)
You must use SSL to encrypt your connection or else authentication will fail.
Information on connecting using POP/IMAP can also be found online at the Microsoft Office 365 support site.