It is shocking but thefts do happen, even in the Library, somewhere that can feel like a home away from home. The best possible advice for the security of your items, like in all public spaces is ‘not to leave your valuables unattended for a moment'.
The story so far
Behind the scenes the Library has been working hard to make the Library spaces as safe as possible.
Some helpful tips
- Valuable items such as Beats headphones, Apple Macs etc. are more likely to be targeted by criminals
- Laptop trackers only work if the laptop is switched on, so cannot always be relied upon as being traceable
- Apple Mac chargers are classed as low-value items. These tend to get left behind unintentionally and can eventually end up in the lost property bins. Popular items like these should be personalised so you have a better chance of reclaiming them
- Less than half of the items stolen in the last two years were Apple products – it is a misconception that thieves only target Apple items
You may be seeing Crooks the magpie a lot more around the Library. This magpie is a helpful reminder to not give thieves a chance and that your valuables should be kept on you at all times.
Meet Crooks the magpie:
- Roams campus
- Prone to collecting shiny objects
- Opportunist – will swoop on valuables left unattended
- A fictional character designed to represent thieves!