Skip to main content Skip to navigation

How to get a Diagnostic Assessment

Once you have met with the Disability Team to discuss your difficulties or following an initial in house screening, you may wish to pursue a full adult diagnostic assessment for Specific Learning Differences (SpLDs). The Disability Team can provide information about local qualified assessors or you can contact any other Educational Psychologist or suitably qualified assessor with a practicing certificate from PATOSS. You must ensure that they can carry out assessments for adults in Higher Education and for use as evidence for Disabled Students Allowances.

If you require an assessment for ADHD/ADD you must check the assessor or Educational Psychologist can carry out this type of assessment. You can also speak to your GP about getting an assessment via the NHS, especially if you want to discuss medication or any impact on your mental wellbeing.

There are two indicative lists of local assessors (Dyslexia/DyspraxiaLink opens in a new window) and (ASD/ADHDLink opens in a new window) - you don't have to make contact with them nor we are specifically recommending you only use these contacts, these are just some assessors in the local area to the University.

Assessors fees can vary, prices locally start from around £275 but they can vary across the country.

Help with the Cost of an Assessment

If you are a Home student and are in receipt of a Warwick Bursary you are likely to be eligible for a refund of up to £350 towards the cost of the assessment. In order to claim this, you must attend a screening appointment with a disability adviser.

If you do not have a bursary from Warwick you can apply for means-tested funding from Student Funding. The details are fully explained on the Student Funding website hereLink opens in a new window.

Diagnostic Assessments for Autism Spectrum (AS)

We don't offer a screening as such for AS but we are very happy to talk about the difficulties you're experiencing, assessment routes and the way you can access support. An adult diagnosis for AS with a psychiatrist or other medical professional can be via a referral from your GP but be aware you may have to wait for some time for a referral. The National Autistic Society explains how to request an assessment through your GP. You can also obtain a diagnosis privately but this can cost upwards of £500.