Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Living off campus

After your first year, most students tend to live off campus in privately rented accommodation. If you decide to make the move to living off campus, see advice on our Studentpad web pagesLink opens in a new window about household costsLink opens in a new window (including bills, council tax, insurance), deposits and more.

Money HelperLink opens in a new window also have guidance on how to save money on household bills.

There's a wide array of resources to support you while living off campus

Energy Bills

If you’re setting up energy bills for your accommodation, read guidance on comparing energy providers, taking meter readings and moreLink opens in a new window.

You can also access Coventry City Council’s support and advice for home energy and warmth, and support for Warwickshire residents.

Contents Insurance

It’s important to insure your belongings against theft, loss and damage.

See advice on contents insuranceLink opens in a new window

Council tax

In households where everyone is a full-time student, you do not have to pay Council Tax. If you do get a bill, you can apply for an exemptionLink opens in a new window.

See more information and eligibility criteriaLink opens in a new window

Local support

Coventry City Council and Warwickshire councils have set up dedicated webpages to offer guidance - from help with bills to 'warm hub' listings.

Finding off campus accommodation

There's plenty of accommodation to go around. Take the time to make the right decision and get advice before you book it.

You can search for local properties and contact landlords directly using Warwick StudentpadLink opens in a new window, the University’s property search platform exclusive to Warwick students. 

Rate Your Landlord allows you to search for reviews of local landlords and properties, written by other Warwick students. Search by area, street name or postcode to find a review.

The SU Advice CentreLink opens in a new window can help with various aspects of housing including house-hunting, checking tenancy agreements, repairs, recovering deposits, security or problems you may have.