Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Living off campus

After your first year, most students tend to live off campus in privately rented accommodation. If you decide to make the move to living off campus, see advice on our Studentpad web pagesLink opens in a new window about household costsLink opens in a new window (including bills, council tax, insurance), deposits and more.

Money HelperLink opens in a new window also have guidance on how to save money on household bills.

Spotlight on - Green home grants

Warwickshire District Council and Coventry City Council are working with local charity, Act on Energy and E.ON to offer homeowners funding towards the cost of new energy efficiency measures to help residents keep warmer and lower fuel bills.

Students are likely to be eligible on income grounds. For more information and to check the eligibility criteria please visit your council’s website: Warwickshire District CouncilLink opens in a new window or Coventry City CouncilLink opens in a new window. It’s important to note that you will need to get permission from your landlord if you are eligible.

There's a wide array of resources to support you while living off campus

Energy Bills

If you’re setting up energy bills for your accommodation, read guidance on comparing energy providers, taking meter readings and moreLink opens in a new window.

View estimated single-use costs for appliancesLink opens in a new window from October under the UK’s Energy Price Guarantee.

If your landlord handles your energy bills, you should still get the £400 discounts. If you have any queries about this or need any support contact the SU Advice CentreLink opens in a new window.

Contents Insurance

It’s important to insure your belongings against theft, loss and damage.

See advice on contents insuranceLink opens in a new window

Council tax

In households where everyone is a full-time student, you do not have to pay Council Tax. If you do get a bill, you can apply for an exemptionLink opens in a new window.

See more information and eligibility criteriaLink opens in a new window

Finding off campus accommodation

There's plenty of accommodation to go around. Take the time to make the right decision and get advice before you book it.

You can search for local properties and contact landlords directly using Warwick StudentpadLink opens in a new window, the University’s property search platform exclusive to Warwick students. 

The SU Advice CentreLink opens in a new window can help with various aspects of housing including house-hunting, checking tenancy agreements, repairs, recovering deposits, security or problems you may have.