Ancient History and Classical Archaeology / Classical Civilisation / Classical Civilisation with Philosophy
Some of you will have taken A levels or GCSEs in classical subjects, whereas others will be coming fresh to the subject. Whatever your background, you might like to spend some time over the summer vacation reading some of the following.
- Beard, M., Henderson, J. A Very Short Introduction to Classics (Oxford University Press 2000)
- Blanshard, A. Classical World: All that matters (John Murray Learning 2015)
- Cartledge, P. The Greeks. A Portrait of Self and Others (Oxford University Press 2002)
- Lane Fox, R. The Classical World: An Epic History from Homer to Hadrian (Penguin 2006)
- Treggiari, S. Roman Social History (Routledge 2002)
These are not books that you need to buy - they won't be textbooks for the course; but are lively introductions to different aspects of the classical world.