Syllabus Set Texts 2018-19
• Set Text 1: Virgil Aeneid 12
• Set Text 2: Sallust, Bellum Catilinae
• Set Text 3: Cicero, Catilinarians 1
Complementary texts (to be studied in English) 2018-19:
• Virgil, Aeneid (recommended translation: D. West 2003, Penguin Classics)
• Cicero, Catilinarians (recommended translation: C. MacDonald 1977 Loeb Classical Library)
Recommended Editions (please purchase)
• R. Tarrant, Virgil Aeneid Book XII, Cambridge, 2012
• J.T. Ramsey, Sallust’s Bellum Catilinae, 2nd edition, Oxford 2007
• A.R. Dyck, Cicero Catilinarians, Cambridge 2008
Charles Lewis and Charles Short, A Latin Dictionary (Oxford, various reprints) or C.T. Lewis, An Elementary Latin Dictionary, Oxford 2002.
Note that the Lewis & Short (more expensive, but much more comprehensive than the Elementary option) is also available as a smartphone app for around £4, and can also be consulted online on perseus.tufts.edu. Also try, if you can, to use the Oxford Latin Dictionary, regarded as the best Latin-English dictionary available. There are copies available for consultation in the University Library.
• Recommended Grammars:
James Morwood, A Latin Grammar (Oxford, 1999) or Cambridge Latin Grammar (Cambridge, 1992). Other possible grammars to consult are B.L. Gildersleeve’s Latin Grammar (London, 1948) and Kennedy’s Revised Latin Primer (Cambridge, 2010)