Meeting dates and times TBD.
Our group will meet to discuss recently-published work in nineteenth-century cultural studies, understood broadly.
We will read the introduction and a selected chapter from each one of these books—participants may, of course, read more, and are encouraged to do so. Texts will be posted to this website.
- Christopher Taylor, Empire of Neglect: The West Indies in the Wake of British Liberalism (Duke UP, 2018)
- Dustin Friedman, Before Queer Theory: Victorian Aestheticism and the Self (JHU, 2019)
- Sharon Marcus, The Drama of Celebrity (Princeton, 2019)
- Jason Rudy, Imagined Homelands: British Poetry in the Colonies (JHU, 2018)
- Sebastian Lecourt, Cultivating Belief: Victorian Anthropology, Liberal Aesthetics, and the Secular Imagination (OUP, 2018)
- Talia Schaffer, Romance’s Rival: Familiar Marriage in Victorian Fiction (OUP, 2019)