Look at the following online exhibition on the Modern Record Centre website on ‘the new woman’ of the 1890s and early 1900s: https://warwick.ac.uk/services/library/mrc/archives_online/exhibitions/newwoman/rational
'The New Woman'
'The Lady Cyclist, 22 Aug 1896'
- In your own words, describe ‘the new woman’.
- Looking at the postcard, what tells you this is the house of a ‘new woman’?
- According to 'The Lady Cyclist' source, what is the connection between the bicycle and the women’s liberation movement?
- Who was the intended audience of 'The Lady Cyclist' source and what biases might they have had?
- How useful do you think these two sources are for understanding attitudes to women in the early 1900s?
- To what extent do you think women today are ‘new women’?