This final option of our course focuses on the history of the University of Warwick itself - where you can find the people who have chosen the readings, sources, and questions of this course, as well as the Modern Records Centre which has provided many of the primary sources we've explored!
Establishing and Building the University
Firstly, please read these brief descriptions of 'Establishing the University' in the 1960s: https://warwick.ac.uk/about/40/history/60s/, and 'Building the University' in the 1970s: https://warwick.ac.uk/about/40/history/70s/.
This video is portrayal of the life of students at Warwick University in 1970. The film was directed for the Film Producers' Guild by Stefan Sargent. It is taken from the University of Warwick Archive.
Watch the first 5 minutes of the video and answer the questions below.
- What does the quote that appears at the beginning of the video tell us about what we should expect from the film?
- Songs from The Beatles are played throughout the video. How does this change the tone of the video?
- What percentage of university undergraduates live in on-campus accommodation?
- What impression do the voices of students give you about university in 1970?
- How does this video compare with the descriptions of the early days of the University of Warwick in the 1960s/1970s?
- Do you think that this video is reliable in showing what life was like for students in 1970? Why?