a) 'The Northern Risings of 1536-7 owed more to political conspiracy than to popular grievance.' Did they?
b) Was the Pilgrimage of Grace bound to fail?
- A. Fletcher, Tudor Rebellions, 3rd ed. 1983, chs 1, 2, 4, 9 - essential introduction for both questions (use Fletcher & D. MacCulloch, 5th ed. 2004, if possible)
- A G Dickens, 'Secular and Religious Motivation in the Pilgrimage of Grace', Studies in Church History IV (1967), and in Dickens, Reformation Studies
- C S L Davies , 'The Pilgrimage of Grace Reconsidered', Past and Present, (1968), and in P Slack ed., Rebellion, Popular Protest and the Social Order (a)
- ---------------, 'Popular Religion and the Pilgrimage of Grace', in A Fletcher and J Stevenson eds., Order and Disorder in Early Modern England (a) p/c in SRC
- G R Elton, 'Politics and the Pilgrimage of Grace' , in B Malament ed., After the Reformation (a), (b) p/c in SRC
- -----------, Reform and Reformation, ch 11
- R W Hoyle, The Pilgrimage of Grace and the Politics of the 1530s (2001) – best modern study
- G W Bernard, The King’s Reformation: Henry VIII and the Remaking of the English Church (2005), ch. 4
- M L Bush, The Pilgrimage of Grace (1996) - esp. intro., conc.
- -------------,'"Up the Commonweal": the Significance of Tax Grievances in the English Rebellions of 1536', English Historical Review, (1991) (a)
- ------------, 'Captain Poverty and the Pilgrimage of Grace', Historical Research, 65 (1992)
- ------------, 'The Richmonshire Uprising of October 1536 and the Pilgrimage of Grace', Northern History (1993)
- ------------ and D Bownes, The Defeat of the Pilgrimage of Grace (1999)
- C Haigh, The Last Days of the Lancashire Monasteries and the Pilgrimage of Grace
- S M Harrison, The Pilgrimage of Grace in the Lake Counties (a)
- ME James, 'Obedience and Dissent in Henrician England: the Lincolnshire Rebellion 1536' in James, Society, Politics and Culture (b)
- SJ Gunn, 'Peers, Commons and Gentry in the Lincolnshire Revolt of 1536', Past and Present (1989)
- E H Shagan, Popular Politics and the English Reformation (2003), ch. 3