This seminar focuses on the Regency (and the prior Regency crisis) and the political environment including representations of the monarchy and popular politics including Luddism and Peterloo.
J Belchem, ‘Republicanism, popular constitutionalism and the radical platform in early nineteenth century England’, Social History, 1981
A Clark, ‘Queen Caroline and the sexual politics of popular culture in London, 1820’, Representations, 1990
- J Derry, The Regency Crisis
- James Epstein, ‘Understanding the Cap of Liberty: Symbolic practice and social conflict in early 19th century England’, Past and Present, 1989
- Boyd Hilton, A Mad, Bad and Dangerous People
- Macolm Kelsall, 'Byron's Politics' in Drummond Bone, Cambridge Companion to Byron
- Iain McCalman, Radical Underworld
- Iain McCalman (ed.), Oxford Companion to the Romantic Age
- Katrina Navickas, 'The Search for General Ludd', Social History, 2005
Nineteenth-century newspapers and British Museum Prints and Drawings database for representations of regency politics.