Coronavirus (Covid-19): Latest updates and information
Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Assessment


Assessments.

Students should read carefully the formal requirements as set out by the Department the Assessment and Submission webpages.

Students are assessed by a 1000 word essay plan (17% of total mark), a 2000 word essay developed from the essay plan (33%) and a 3000 word essay (50%).

Submission Information.

You should submit an electronic version of all your work via Tabula, since it will be put through the department's anti-plagiarism software. You should use a cover sheet for all your work. A hard copy of the essay plan and the first essay should be handed directly to your module tutor. Copies of the final long essays must be handed into the Undergraduate office. Details on how to submit the essays can be found on the department Assessment and Submission webpages.

For information on marking criteria, formatting, referencing, etc., please see the undergraduate student handbook and the undergraduate style guide.

Please remember to check back to this page for further information updates.

Deadlines & Extension requests.

Most questions about assessment, including submission deadlines are answered on the department Submission & Assessment webpages.

Requests for extensions for ALL work must be applied for in advance via Tabula, and can only be granted by Dr Sarah Richardson as Director of First Year Studies. Please note that extensions can be granted only in special circumstances such as medical illness (if a medical certificate is produced) and other personal reasons. Extensions cannot be granted retrospectively (unless the illness prevented you from submitting the request). Neither your Tutor, nor the module convenors can grant extensions. If your submission is late, penalties will be applied as per the History Department Undergraduate rules.

Non Submission.

You are required to submit all pieces of assessed work and should note that a mark of zero will be recorded for any essay which is not submitted. The average for the overall assessment mark will in this case be calculated over the total number of essays required, and will result in a much lower average.

Resit Procedures.

A candidate who fails to submit the required number of pieces of work will normally be required to make up the missing essays over summer. Students who do not submit the required number of essays or fail the exam will normally not be allowed to proceed to year 2.


 

last_judgment.gif