- Did Germany experience an agrarian crisis in the late Middle Ages?
- How important were the towns?
- Was peasant life hard?
- Should historians view cultural life as static or dynamic?
'The Statement of Grievances presented to the Diet of Worms in 1521', in: G. Strauss (ed.), Manifestations of Discontent in Germany on the Eve of the Reformation (Bloomington, 1971), 52-63, alongside socio-economic passages of the 'Reformatio'
Jamie Page & Les Scales, 'Later Medieval Germany 1250-1520: Bibliography of Works in English'
Choice of Priority Reading
- Abel, Fluctuations; Coy et al. (eds), Holy Roman Empire; Du Boulay, Germany; Kümin, 'German village', with associated bibliography; Rösener, Peasants; Scott, Society and Economy; Scribner (ed.), Economic History; Strauss (ed.), Pre-Reformation Germany; Whaley, Germany
- How serious and widespread was economic decline in Germany during the period 1350-1500?
- To what extent did late medieval economic developments alter the structure of German society?
- How diverse were the social discontents expressed, and their causes, during the century before the Reformation?
- Was social discontent ‘endemic’ in Germany during the century before the Reformation?
W. Abel, Agricultural Fluctuations in Europe from the Thirteenth to the Twentieth Centuries (1980)
P. Blickle, ‘Peasant revolts in the German empire in the late Middle Ages’, in: Social History 4 (1979)
“ , The Revolution of 1525 (1981), 29-57
O. Brunner, Land and Lordship (1995), esp. ‘Translator’s introduction’ and ch. 5
F. R. H. Du Boulay, Germany in the Later Middle Ages (1983)
J. P. Coy, B. Marschke and D. W. Sabean (eds), The Holy Roman Empire, Reconsidered (New York, 2010)
P. Dollinger, The German Hansa (1970)
E. Eisenstein, The Printing Revolution (1983)
M. Hughes, Early Modern Germany 1477-1806 (Basingstoke, 1992), ch. 2: 'Germany on the eve of the Reformation'
B. Kümin, 'The German Village', in: idem, The Communal Age in Western Europe c. 1100-1800 (Basingstoke, 2013) [pre-print version]
W. Rösener, Peasants in the Middle Ages (1992)
T. Scott, Society and Economy in Germany, 1300-1600 (2002)
R. W. Scribner (ed.), Germany: A New Social and Economic History, vol. 1, 1450-1630 (1996)
G. Strauss (ed.), Pre-Reformation Germany (1972)
J. Whaley, Germany and the Holy Roman Empire (2 vols, Oxford, 2012)
The imperial free city of Nuremberg in the Schedel chronicle of 1494
(source; click to enlarge)