- John Elliott, Spain and its World 1500-1700, Selected Essays (London, 1998). Introduction: Spain and its Empire in the Sixteenth and Seventeenth Centuries, pp. 7-26
- Barbara Mundy and Dana Leibsohn, ‘History from Things: Indigenous Objects and Colonial Latin America,’ World History Connected 9: 2 (June, 2012)
- Peter Burke, ‘Interrogating the Eyewitness,’ Cultural and Social History: The Journal of the Social History Society 7: 4 (2010), pp. 435-443
This seminar will begin with an introductory lecture on the history and historiography of Early Modern Spain and its Empire. We will be devoting the second hour to the examination of a wide range of images and objects from across the Iberian world, thinking about their reaches and limits as historical sources, discussing current approaches to the historical study of visual and material culture.
- Anne Gerritsen and Giorgio Riello, ‘Spaces of Global Interactions: The Material Landscapes of Global History,’ in Anne Gerritsen and Giorgio Riello (eds.), Writing Material Culture History (London, 2015).
- Jorge Cañizares-Esguerra, How to Write the History of the New World, Histories, Epistemologies, and Identities in the Eighteenth-Century Atlantic World (Stanford, 2001). Part 2: Images as Sources in the Early Modern European World, pp. 88-92
- Jon Cowans, Early Modern Spain: A Documentary History (Philadelphia, 2003)
- Nancy Farriss, ‘Introductory Essay; The Power of Images,’ Colonial Latin American Review19: 1 (2010), pp. 5-28
- Gauvin Bailey, Art of Colonial Latin America (London, 2005)
- Gauvin Bailey, “Asia in the Arts of Colonial Latin America,” in Joseph J. Rishel and Suzanne Stratton-Pruitt, The Arts in Latin America, 1492-1820 (New Haven, 2006).
- Michael Baxandall, Painting and Experience in Fifteenth Century Italy: a Primer in the Social History of a Pictorial Style (Oxford, 1998).
- Peter Burke, Eye–Witnessing: The Use of Images as Historical Evidence (London, 2001).
- Amanda Luyster, 'Cross-Cultural Style in the Alhambra: Textiles, Identity and Origins', Medieval Encounters (2008): 341–367
- Jonathan Brown, Painting in Spain 1500–1700 (New Haven, 1998).