Principal Module Aims
This module aims to introduce students to precolonial African history. It is centred on the themes of state formation and it places special emphasis on the connections between the African societies and the rest of the world.
- Obtaining knowledge on the different networks in which African societies and actors were engaged
- Identifying major themes and methodologies in African Early Modern History
- Establish intellectual bridges between African and non-African historiographies
- Classifying the environmental, political and cultural diversity of Early Modern Africa
- Critically evaluate and interpret a variety of primary sources and historiographical traditions
- Developing research skills, historiographical engagement, presentation skills, and critical analysis through individual and group work