Week 19: Colonial Revolution and Abolition of Slavery
Core primary readings
*L. Mason & T. Rizzo, FRDC, Documents 4, 23, 27, 48, 49, 50, 87.
* Grievance List of Free Blacks and Mulattos in 1789.
Viefville des Essarts, On the Emancipation of the Negroes (1790).
* Letter by Toussaint L'Ouverture to General Laveaux in Saint-Domingue (Year IV)
Core secondary readings
M. Covo, ‘Race, Slavery, and Colonies in the French Revolution’ in Andress (ed.), OHFR, pp. 290-307.
F. Régent, ‘Slavery and the Colonies’ in CFR, pp. 397-418.
- S. Hazareesingh, Black Spartacus: The Epic Life of Toussaint Louverture (2020)
- C. Forsdick and C. Hogsbjerg, Toussaint Louverture: A Black Jacobin in the Age of Revolutions (2017)
- P. Girard, Toussaint Louverture: A Revolutionary Life (2016)
- J. Popkin, You Are All Free: The Haitian Revolution and the Abolition of Slavery (2010)
- L. Dubois, Avengers of the New World: The Story of the Haitian Revolution (2004)
- L Dubois, A Colony of Citizens: Revolution and Slave Emancipation in the French Caribbean, 1787-1824 (2004)
- L. Dubois, 'The price of Liberty: Victor Hugues and the administration of freedom in Guadeloupe, 1794-1798', in French Revolution. New Debates and controversy, pp. 254-282.
- M. Spieler, Empire and Underworld: Captivity in French Guiana (2012)
- D. Geggus, The Impact of the Haitian Revolution on the Atlantic World (2001)
- D. Geggus & B. Gaspar, A Turbulent Time: the French Revolution and the Greater Caribbean (1997)
- S. Dunn, Sister Revolutions: French Lightning, American Light (1999)
- P. Higonnet, Sister Republics: The Origins of French and American Republicanism (1988)
- D. Brion Davis, The Problem of Slavery in the Age of Revolution, 1770-1823 (1975)
- R. Blackburn, The Overthrow of Colonial Slavery, 1776-1845 (1989)
- R.R. Palmer, The Age of Democratic Revolution (2 vols) (1959 & 1964)
- D. Geggus, Haitian Revolutionary Studies (2002)
- D. Geggus, ‘The Haitian Revolution’ in F.W. Knight & C. Palmer (eds), The Modern Caribbean (1989)
- C Fick, The Making of Haiti: the Saint-Domingue Revolution from Below (1990)
- C.L.R. James, The Black Jacobins: Toussaint L-Ouverture and the San Domingo Revolution (1963/2001)
- P. Linebaugh & M. Rediker, The Many-headed Hydra: Sailors, Slaves, Commoners and the Hidden History of the Revolutionary Atlantic (2000)
- 'Revolutions in the Americas', Forum, American Historical Review (2000)
- 'Slavery and Citizenship in the Age of the Atlantic Revolutions', Special issue, Historical Reflections (2003)