Tutors: Anne Gerritsen (email@example.com) and Somak Biswas (Somak.Biswas@warwick.ac.uk)
- How do you understand gender and sexuality as categories of analysis, and how have (global) historians used it as tools of analysis?
- Why has gender not been a more prominent feature of global history to date?
- Afsaneh Najmabadi, Beyond the Americas: Are Gender and Sexuality Useful Categories of Historical Analysis?
- Anne Stoler, Race and the Education of Desire, ch 1 (and, optinally, ch 2)
- Gayatri Gopinath, Introduction, Impossible Desires OR Eithne Luibheid, Sexuality and International Migration, A Global History of Sexuality
Alison Bashford, "Bioscapes: Gendering the Global History of Medicine." Bulletin of the History of Medicine, vol. 89 no. 4, 2015, pp. 690-695. Project MUSE.
Jennifer L. Morgan, Labouring Women: Reproduction and Gender in New World Slavery, University of Pennsylvania Press, 2004; especially “Introduction,” pp. 1-11, and chapter 3, pp. 69-106.
Afsaneh Najmabadi, Islamicate Sexualities: Translations across Temporal Geographies of Desire
Diana Paton, “Gender, Language, Violence and Slavery: Insult in Jamaica, 1800-1838,” Gender & History, 18:2 (August 2006): 246-265.
Pamela Scully and Diana Paton (eds.), Gender and Slave Emancipation in the Atlantic World. Particularly Diana Paton and Pamela Scully, “Introduction: Gender and Slave Emancipation in Comparative Perspective,” pp. 1-34 (although the whole volume is useful)
Nayan Shah, Race-ing Sex
Peter Stearns, Gender in World History. London: Routledge, 2002.
Leila J. Rupp, “Toward a Global History of Same-Sex Sexuality.” Journal of the History of Sexuality, vol. 10, no. 2, 2001, pp. 287–302.
Joan Wallach Scott, “Gender: A Useful Category of Historical Analysis.” The American Historical Review, 91: 5 (December 1986): 1053-1075.
Merry Wiesner-Hanks, (2018). 'Adjusting Our Lenses to Make Gender Visible'. Early Modern Women: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 12(2), 3-32.
Global encyclopedia of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) history / editor, Howard Chiang
Companion to Global Gender History: https://www.wiley.com/en-gb/A+Companion+to+Global+Gender+History%2C+2nd+Edition-p-9781119535805