- Kennetta Hammond Perry, London is the Place for me: Black Britons, Citizenship, and the Politics of Race (New York, 2015).
- Kennetta Hammond Perry, 'Bearing Witness to the History of Black Lives in Britain', The Conversation, 17 June 2020, https://theconversation.com/bearing-witness-to-the-history-of-black-lives-in-britain-140776.
- Graeme Abernathy, 'Not Just an American Problem: Malcolm X in Britain’, Atlantic Studies, 7:3 (2010), 285-307.
- Avtar Brah, Cartographies of Diaspora: Contesting Identities (New York, 1996).
- Beverley Bryan, Stella Dadzie, and Suzanne Scafe, Heart of the Race: Black Women’s Lives in Britain (London, 1985).
- Bob Carter, Clive Harris and Shirley Joshi, ‘The 1951–1955 Conservative Government and the Racialization of Black Immigration’,
Immigrants and Minorities, 6:3 (1987), 335-47.
- Centre for Contemporary Cultural Studies, The Empire Strikes Back: Race and Racism in 70s Britain (London, 1982).
- Paul Gilroy, Ain’t No Black in the Union Jack: The Cultural Politics of Race and Nation (Chicago, 1987).
- Catherine Hall, Civilising Subjects: Metropole and Colony in the English Imagination, 1830–1867 (Chicago, 2002).
- Randall Hansen, Citizenship and Immigration in Postwar Britain: The Institutional Origins of a Multiracial Nation (Oxford, 2000).
- Marc Matera, Black London: The Imperial Metropolis and Decolonization in the Twentieth Century (Berkeley, 2015).
- Anne McClintock, Imperial Leather: Race, Gender and Sexuality in the Colonial Conquest (London, 1995).
- Kathleen Paul, Whitewashing Britain: Race and Citizenship in the Postwar Era (Ithaca, 1997).
- Kennetta Hammond Perry, 'Black Britain and the Politics of Race in the 20th Century', History Compass, 12:8 (2014), 651-63.
- Ron Ramdin, The Making of the Black Working Class in Britain (London, 1987).
- Bill Schwarz, The White Man’s World (Oxford, 2011).
- Chris Waters, '"Dark Strangers" in Our Midst: Discourses of Race and Nation in Britain, 1947–1963’, Journal of British Studies,
36:2 (1997), 207-38.
- Rob Waters, Thinking Black: Britain, 1964-1985 (California, 2019).