Absolute Beginners only. This module is offered to students with no prior knowledge of Spanish. Due to the 'accelerated' aspect of the module, evidence of prior linguistic achievement (e.g. a GCSE A* grade in another European language) is essential.
- to develop competence in a range of predictable everyday tasks.
- to acquire essential listening, speaking, reading and writing skills.
- to obtain an insight into the Spanish speaking world.
30 CREDITS, also available for 24 CREDITS.
One weekly session for 21 weeks, organised as:
- 2-hour face-to-face session per week.
- 1-hour synchronous online session per week.
- Some independent study will also be set.
If health & safety restrictions are required, teaching may move online.
Students are reminded that 1 credit = 10 hours of study, therefore for a 30 credit module, the minimum expected amount of study is 300 hours, which averages over 10 hours per week. A substantial amount of independent study is therefore required. Students can make use of Moodle to facilitate this.
Term 2 - portfolio (20%)
Term 3 - one reading/writing test (40%) + one speaking test (40%)
Carmen Barreras Moreno email@example.com
Marta Peón Villar firstname.lastname@example.org
Course Text-books (must be bought by student):
- Frecuencias A1 - Libro del estudiante, Edinumen. ISBN:9788491790495. Students can get either the physical book, or the digital version. The book and e-book can be bought here: Frecuencias A1 - Libro del estudiante (edinumen.es)Link opens in a new window
- Frecuencias A1 - Libro de ejercicios, Edinumen. ISBN: 9788491794073. The book and e-book can be bought here: Frecuencias A1 - Libro de ejercicios (edinumen.es)Link opens in a new window
- Frecuencias A2 - Libro del estudiante, Edinumen. ISBN: 9788491790549.
Students can get either the physical book, or the digital version. The book and e-book can be bought here: Frecuencias A2 - Libro del estudiante (edinumen.es)Link opens in a new window
- Frecuencias A2 - Libro de ejercicios, Edinumen. ISBN: 978-8491794080. The book and e-book can be bought here: Frecuencias A2 - Libro de ejercicios (edinumen.es)Link opens in a new window
A general foundation in language, extending across the four main skills areas (speaking, writing, listening and reading), with an emphasis upon the acquisition of an essential grammatical basis and development of both receptive and productive skills.
Successful completion of Spanish Beginners Accelerated qualifies students to progress to Spanish 3Link opens in a new window or Spanish Intermediate AcceleratedLink opens in a new window.
By the end of the module, students should be able to:
- Apply a basic knowledge of grammar.
- Gain insight into everyday life in the relevant countries.
- Apply strategies for understanding gist and short descriptions.
- Interact about familiar topics and activities.
- Write simple texts giving background information and relating to areas of immediate need.
- Diagnose strengths and weaknesses in their productive language skills and take relevant steps to address their weaknesses.
The syllabus will include the following:
- Greetings, introductions, asking and giving personal information.
- Family, houses, clothes and means of transports.
- Habits, hobbies, sports and leisure activities.
- Food, beverages, celebrations and express wishes.
- Travel, accommodation, tourism, weather, cardinal points and seasons.
- Internet, new technology, inventions and inventors.
This module will provide an introduction to fundamental features of Spanish and essential basic structures, making it possible to function in a range of everyday situations using the present and past tenses, adjectives and adverbs. The use of connectors, comparative and superlative adjectives, direct and indirect objects and the imperative tense.
Subject-specific and transferable skills
- Written and spoken communications.
- Strategies for understanding gist and specific information.
- Intercultural Awareness, Organisational skills, Interpersonal skills and Digital skills.
Can count towards the Warwick AwardLink opens in a new window