Dr Santiago Bertran
Email: Santiago dot Bertran at warwick dot ac dot uk
Fourth Floor, Faculty of Arts Building
University of Warwick
Coventry CV4 7AL
General interests: Spanish literature and culture from the Generation of 98 to the present, esp. writing of the Dictatorship and Transition periods; Ethics, aesthetics, hermeneutics, and literary theory; Comparative and transnational literary and cultural studies; Intersections of textual and visual cultures, chiefly photography and film.
My current British Academy postdoctoral project, 'Engagements with British Culture in Spanish Writing and Film of the Transition, 1965-1980', traces and theorises the contributions to Spain's so-called 'Transition' to democracy of a generation of young Spanish writers and filmmakers who found in British literature and culture a source for creation and experimentation beyond the bounds of Francisco Franco's Spain. Marked by a period of economic and cultural opening in the final years of dictatorship, this generation was driven less by an explicit project of national rehabilitation or collective memory than by a cosmopolitan sensibility and a fascination with pop cultural and countercultural forms. At the same time, this fascination did not represent an evasion of Spanish identity and memory so much as it provided new modes for addressing those preoccupations in a increasingly globalised society. The study of these British-Spanish transcultural mediations will reveal their contribution to Spain's Transition into a global and globalised democracy.
- Journal Article: 'Translator, gentleman, scholar, spy. The Ethics of Interpretation and the Problem of Englishness in the Fictions of Javier Marías'. Bulletin of Hispanic Studies, 100.4 (2023) 387-402
- Journal Article: 'Ortega entre los Novísimos'. Claves de razón práctica, 283 (mayo/junio 2022). 100-105
- Edited book (with Alexis Grohmann): Javier Marías: 50 años de literatura (1971-2021). Nuevas visiones. Foro Hispánico series, Brill-Rodopi, Volume 68, 2022
- Journal Article: 'Perspectivismo y realidad radical en la literatura de Javier Marías, y el caso de la novela Corazón tan blanco'. Hispanic Research Journal, 21.6 (September 2021). 697-718
- Journal Article: 'La visión responsable de Javier Marías: una literatura entre el pensamiento literario de Julián Marías y la literatura como reconocimiento de Marcel Proust'. Artes del ensayo. Revista internacional sobre el ensayo hispánico, 3 (February 2020). 215-244
PhD, Hispanic Studies, University of Edinburgh, 2018
MSc by Research, Hispanic Studies, University of Edinburgh, 2013
BA, Filología hispánica, Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona, 2012