You may, If you wish, discuss the same text/thinker in a summative assignment as you have discussed in a piece of formative assignment, but you must not reproduce in part or whole any of your formative assignment in your summative assignment.
You will receive guidance and support in the writing of your summative essay in the following ways:
- Refresher workshop on essay-writing skills (Weds 18th November, Teaching Grid, 1 – 2.30 pm). This is OPTIONAL
- One hour in the module programme will be devoted to a discussion / workshop on the assessment for the module.
- Students taking 15 CATs modules in term 2 will receive feedback on their work in week 7 of term 3. All marks received at this stage will be provisional. Please note that you are welcome to come and see me in my office hours to discuss your performance once you have received the feedback for your assessed work.
Your Essay Titles
You may choose to answer one of the questions listed below, or you may, in consultation with me, formulate your own title.
1. 'Physical suffering and a familiarity with death frequently characterised life in early modern France.' Examine how the texts on the module treat these experiences. You should refer to ONE OR MORE texts in your answer.
2. Discuss the treatment of the themes of birth and nurture in the texts set for study on the module. You should refer to ONE OR MORE texts in your answer.
3. With reference to ONE OR MORE texts on the module, analyse the significance of rivalry within family structures.
4. To what extent do the texts set for study explore the vulnerability of patriarchal family structures, be this at the level of the nuclear family, or at the wider social / political level? You should refer to ONE OR MORE texts in your answer.
5. How important are notions of blood ties and inherited characteristics to the texts set for study on the module? You should refer to ONE OR MORE texts in your answer.
6. With reference to ONE OR MORE texts on the module, examine the relationship between individual desire and notions of parental AND / OR filial duty.
7. Conduct a detailed analysis of the figure of the widow in TWO of the following texts: Racine's Athalie; Corneille's Rodogune; Mme de Sévigné's Lettres choisies.
8. To what extent do the texts on this module seek to educate their readers about family life and the duties demanded of family members? You should refer to ONE OR MORE texts in your answer.