|Module Code: HP301|
|Module Name: Modern Spanish Language III|
|Module Convenor: Dr Leticia Villamediana González|
|Timetable by Group|
|Module Credits: 30|
This module will consolidate your linguistic skills acquired in the intermediate year and extend them through translation, writing, reading, speaking and listening activities. A range of assessments will be offered for students to track and reflect on their progress through the provision of regular feedback. Students will also be provided with complementary autonomous learning and grammar activities and directed to appropriate activities for self-study in order to develop independent learning strategies.
The aim of this module is to refine fluency in spoken and written Spanish, working towards a C2 standard of the CEFR. Emphasis will be placed on sophisticated translation and writing, as well as oral and comprehension skills, using an appropriate range of complex linguistic structures, vocabulary, register and style.
Translation: into English and into Spanish, covering range of discourses, from literary texts and essays to journalistic pieces. Aims are to encourage students to reflect on the practice of translation, to consider how best to render each text in a way which is both linguistically accurate and sympathetic to the style and context of the original.
Writing: building on year 2/3 work, students will produce a series of discursive texts in a variety of registers and styles: artículos de opinión, comentarios críticos and textos argumentativos. Emphasis will be placed on style, register, the deepening of vocabulary knowledge and the use of complex grammatical structures.
Oral: students will research and prepare a series of oral presentations and debates, focused on developing appropriate argumentation and discussion structures and vocabulary, as well as peer learning and group work.
The course will use authentic resources from around the Hispanic world, including films, books, articles, newspapers, television and radio podcasts. You will complete a range of self-study grammatical activities through our multimedia VLE (Moodle for HP301).
This module seeks:
- Highly proficient independent language-learning and research skills.
- The acquisition of sophisticated skills in grammar, translation, writing and reading in Spanish and the ability to apply complex syntax in various contexts.
- The acquisition of sophisticated skills of aural comprehension and oral communication over a wide range of topics, showing familiarity with different varieties of Spanish in the world, registers and styles.
- Sophisticated ability to understand and critically engage with aspects of contemporary Hispanic society and culture and intercultural issues associated with them.
- Combined Writing and Translation Coursework (15%)
- Oral Exam: Presentation and Discussion (25%).
- Translation Exam (2 hours + 15 minutes reading time; 30%): one passage from English into Spanish and one passage from Spanish into English.
- Writing Exam (2 hours + 15 minutes of reading time; 30%).
Terms 1, 2 and 3:
- Writing (1 hr)
- Translation (1 hr)
- Oral and presentation skills (1 hr)