Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, UHCW NHS Trust
Clinical Lead for Orthopaedics
Department of Orthopaedics
Coventry & Warwickshire Hospital
Stoney Stanton Road
Coventry CV1 4FH
- Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon with a special interest in knee surgery since 1995.
- Qualified from Charing Cross Hospital Medical School in London in 1982.
- Orthopaedic training took place mainly through the Royal Navy and also in Oxford at the Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre
- Specialist Sports Knee Surgery Fellowship in Toronto, Canada, at the Orthopaedic and Arthritic Hospital 1994 – 1995 and awarded BOA Travelling fellowship in 1996.
- Consultant post at Royal Hospital Haslar, Gosport, in 1995, developing a special interest in knee surgery while looking after service personnel at home and abroad in the Gulf, Bosnia and Kosovo.
- Joined the Orthopaedic Team in Coventry and Rugby as specialist knee surgeon in 2000; also undertakes emergency care for trauma patients at Coventry.
- Specialist interest in soft tissue ligament reconstruction, cartilage repair and management of the early arthritic knee including the development of special minimally invasive techniques for total knee replacement.
- Private practice based at Warwickshire Nuffield Hospital and Oak House Medical Group, Coventry
- Chairman of UK meniscal study group.
- UK lead member for ESSKA.
- Conferences organised:
Sports Knee Surgery 2005: International knee meeting focusing on sports injuries of the knee to early osteoarthritis.
Masterclass in Anterior Cruciate Ligament reconstruction surgery. Annual conference at Warwickshire Nuffield Hospital.
Knee surgery including:
- Knee instability
- Ligament reconstruction
- Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction
- Knee cartilage surgery
- Articular cartilage repair
- Knee replacement surgery
- Minimally invasive techniques for knee replacement
- Mini incision and quads - sparing knee replacement
- Outcome and validation of mini incision total knee replacement.
- Validation of new surgical technique for anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction involving tensioner system.
- Clinical fellowship programme for Knee Fellow.
- Medical Students.
- Course Convenor of the Warwick Medical School Sports Knee Conference.
- Lecturing for orthopaedic companies. Masterclass in knee surgery: annual conference.
- Hand CJ, Spalding TJ. Association between anatomical features and anterior knee pain in a "fit" service population. J R Nav Med Serv. 2004;90(3):125-34. PubMed
- Selzer G, Ross RA, Spalding TJ. A complicated stress fracture of the femoral neck--a case report. J R Nav Med Serv. 2003;89(1):5-8. PubMed
- Price CJ, Spalding TJ, McKenzie C. Patterns of illness and injury encountered in amateur ocean yacht racing: an analysis of the British Telecom Round the World Yacht Race 1996-1997. Br J Sports Med. 2002;36(6):457-62; PubMed
- Spalding TJ. Effect of femoral offset on motion and abductor muscle strength after total hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1996;78(6):997-8. PubMed
- Spalding TJ, Botsford DJ, Ford M, Marks PH. Popliteal artery compression: a complication of Gore-Tex anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1996 Jan;78(1):151-2. PubMed
- Spalding TJ, Jesenko R, Saadi R, Benson MK. Removal of femoral sherman plates--not a simple operation. J Pediatr Orthop B. 1996;5(4):287-91. PubMed
- Spalding TJ, Kiss J, Kyberd P, Turner-Smith A, Simpson AH. Driver reaction times after total knee replacement. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1994;76(5):754-6. PubMed