Associate Professor - Reader
Synthetic organometallic chemistry and catalysis with a supramolecular twist. Activation of alkanes and nitrous oxide.
a dot b dot chaplin at warwick dot ac dot uk
024 761 51765
Department of Chemistry
University of Warwick
Gibbet Hill Road
Coventry, CV4 7AL
Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry
- 2015 RSC Harrison-Meldola Memorial Prize [press release]
- 2014 ERC Starting Grant [press release].
- 2011 Royal Society University Research Fellowship.
- Reader; University of Warwick, UK (2020 - present).
- Royal Society University Research Fellow; University of Warwick, UK (2011 - 2019).
- EPSRC funded postdoctoral research assistant; Willis and Weller research groups, University of Oxford, UK (2009 - 2011).
- R. J. P. Williams Junior Research Fellow; Wadham College, Oxford, UK (2009 - 2011) .
- EPSRC funded postdoctoral research assistant; Weller research group, University of Oxford, UK (2007 - 2009).
- Docteur ès Sciences (PhD); Dyson research group, Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland (2007).
- BSc (Hons); Massey University, New Zealand (2002).
Key lines of investigation:
- Activation and transformation of alkanes and nitrous oxide
- Supramolecular inspired encapsulating and interlocking ligand architectures
- Isolation and reaction chemistry of complexes with a low coordination number
- Organometallic chemistry of late transition metals in unusual oxidation states
- Applications of pincer ligands in organometallic chemistry and catalysis
Past and present group members and their accomplishments are detailed on our webpages. We are always interested to hear from talented and motivated scientists. If you are interested in joining the team, please get in touch.
Selected recent publications:
- Oxidative addition of a mechanically entrapped C(sp)–C(sp) bond to a rhodium(I) pincer complex.
B. Leforestier, M. R. Gyton and A. B. Chaplin*. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2020, 59, 23500 – 23504.
- A shape changing tandem Rh(CNC) catalyst: preparation of bicyclo[4.2.0]octa-1,5,7-trienes from terminal aryl alkynes.
C. M. Storey, A. Kalpokas, M. R. Gyton, T. Krämer* and A. B. Chaplin*. Chem. Sci. 2020, 11, 2051 – 2057.
- Rhodium(I) Pincer Complexes of Nitrous Oxide.
M. R. Gyton, B. Leforestier and A. B. Chaplin*. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2019, 58, 15295 – 15298.
- Terminal Alkyne Coupling Reactions through a Ring: Mechanistic Insights and Regiochemical Switching.
C. M. Storey, M. R. Gyton, R. E. Andrew and A. B. Chaplin*. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2018, 57, 12003 – 12006.
- One-electron Oxidation of [M(PtBu3)2] (M = Pd, Pt): Isolation of Monomeric [Pd(PtBu3)2]+ and Redox Promoted C–H Bond Cyclometalation.
T. Troadec, S.-y. Tan, C. J. Wedge, J. P. Rourke, P. R. Unwin and A. B. Chaplin*. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2016, 55, 3754 – 3757.