MAS Miniproject 1 - Photo-induced electron transfer in coordination cages using supramolecular assemblies
Synthesis and characterization of supramolecular structures used in host-guest chemistry. Spectroscopic methods were used in order to investigate phenomena such as energy and electron transfer capabilities of novel, self assembled cage like structures.
- Ligand synthesis and the characterization of supramolecular structures.
- Fluorescence titrations of guest molecules into hosts.
- Ultrafast spectroscopy to reveal photodynamics
MAS Miniproject 2 - Computational modelling of optoelectronic devices: Hemithioindigos as versatile single-molecule switches - With industrial collaboration from Diamond Light Source Ltd
A study into the photoswitching capabilties of an emerging class of molecular switch; demonstrating how tunable properties can be obtained through functionalization, using ab initio calculation software. Mechanistic investigation of switching within hemithioindigos was attempted through:
- Calculation of ground and excited states
- Predicted spectroscopy of medium sized organic compounds
- Reaction pathways investigated by surface scans
Further functionalization of hemithioindigos were explored, creating a molecular catalogue in order to understand more about substituent effects in molecular switches.
MSc Welcome Week Chemistry
This is the very easy worksheets for those who have not done Chemistry degrees and want a refresher of the basic material:
MSc Welcome Week Maths
Do this if too easy: