Dr Susana Gomes
Teaching Responsibilities 2022/23:
Term 1: MA933 Stochastic Modelling and Random Processes
My research interests are in applied analysis, with a focus on modelling and control of problems described by partial differential equations (PDEs) and with relevance to applications in the physical, life, and social sciences. The problems I work on usually involve an interplay between modelling, applied analysis and numerical simulations of PDEs and (systems of) ODEs or SDEs, often in multi-scale scenarios. Current projects include
- Control of interfacial flows using hierarchies of models
- Modelling and control for pedestrian dynamics (See a Warwick press release from when I participated in the STEM for Britain competition.)
I combine techniques such as control, stabilisation, and optimisation (including Bayesian inverse problems) in the context of each of the projects above. For more information on my research, visit my research page.
Here are links to my Google Scholar, ResearchGate, arXiv, and ORCID profiles.
Recent research grants:
- EPSRC Small Grant EP/V051385/1: A new hierarchical modelling framework for active control: making waves in interfacial flow-based technologies. Co-I, with Dr. Radu Cimpeanu as PI. 02/2021 - 01/2022.
- UKRI-EPSRC COVID-19 Call EP/V025899/1: COVID-19: Optimal Lockdown, Co-I, with Dr Ritabrata Dutta as PI and Dr. Dante Kalise as Co-I. 07/2020 - 01/2022.
- Leverhulme Early Career Fellowship ECF-2018-536: Parameter estimation in macroscopic models for pedestrian dynamics. 09/2018-09/2021.
Most relevant recent publications:
For a full list of publications see my publications page
- A.W. Wray, R. Cimpeanu, S.N. Gomes, Electrostatic control of the Navier–Stokes equations for thin films, Physical Review Fluids, 7:L122001, 2022.
- R. Cimpeanu, S.N. Gomes, D.T. Papageorgiou, Active control of liquid film flows: beyond reduced-order models, Nonlinear Dynamics, 104(1):267-287, 2021.
- R.J. Tomlin, S.N. Gomes, G.A. Pavliotis, D.T. Papageorgiou, Optimal control of thin liquid films and transverse mode effects, SIAM Journal of Applied Dynamical Systems, 18(1), 117–149, 2019.
- S.N. Gomes, A.M. Stuart, M.T. Wolfram, Parameter estimation for macroscopic pedestrian dynamics models from microscopic data, SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics 79(4):1475-1500, 2019
- S.N. Gomes, G.A. Pavliotis, Mean field limits for interacting diffusions in a two-scale potential, Journal of Nonlinear Science 28(3) 905-941, 2018.
A.B. Thompson, S.N. Gomes, G.A. Pavliotis, D.T. Papageorgiou, Stabilising falling liquid film flows using feedback control, Physics of Fluids, 28, 012107, 2016.
Recent and upcoming workshops/conferences/seminars:
- Participant in the INI Programme 'The mathematical and statistical foundation of future data-driven engineering', January-June 2023.
- Co-organiser (with S. Reich) of a deep-dive session on 'Optimal control and Inference', February 20 - March 3, 2023.
- Invited speaker on the workshop 'Mathematical Foundations of Data-Driven Engineering', ICMS, May 9-12, 2023.
- Continuum Mechanics and Industrial Mathematics Seminar, University of Strathclyde, May 15, 2023.
- Invited speaker in the mini-symposium 'Interfaces between kinetic equations and many-agent social systems' at ICIAM 2023, Tokyo, August 20-25, 2023.
- Co-organiser of an EPSRC network meeting on 'PDE meets Data', Warwick, 18-19 Sept, 2023.
- Keynote speaker at the Woudschoten Conference of the Dutch-Flemish Scientific Computing Society, the Netherlands, September 27-29, 2023.