Warwick Zeeman Lecturer
Leverhulme Early Career Fellow
Teaching Responsibilities 2021/22:
I organise Warwick's Applied Mathematics Seminar. Let me know if you have any suggestions for speakers!
My research interests are in applied analysis, with a focus on modelling and control of problems described by partial differential equations (PDEs) and with relevance to applications in the physical, life, and social sciences. The problems I work on usually involve an interplay between modelling, applied analysis and numerical simulations of PDEs and (systems of) ODEs or SDEs, often in multi-scale scenarios. Current projects include
- Control of interfacial flows using hierarchies of models
- Modelling and control for pedestrian dynamics (See a Warwick press release from when I participated in the STEM for Britain competition.)
- Optimal control for epidemiological models
I combine techniques such as control, stabilisation, and optimisation (including Bayesian inverse problems) in the context of each of the projects above. For more information on my research, visit my research page.
Recent research grants:
- EPSRC Small Grant EP/V051385/1: A new hierarchical modelling framework for active control: making waves in interfacial flow-based technologies. Co-I, with Dr. Radu Cimpeanu as PI. 02/2021 - 01/2022.
- UKRI-EPSRC COVID-19 Call EP/V025899/1: COVID-19: Optimal Lockdown, Co-I, with Dr Ritabrata Dutta as PI and Dr. Dante Kalise as Co-I. 07/2020 - 01/2022.
- Leverhulme Early Career Fellowship ECF-2018-536: Parameter estimation in macroscopic models for pedestrian dynamics. 09/2018-09/2021.
Most relevant recent publications:
For a full list of publications see my publications page
- R. Cimpeanu, S.N. Gomes, D.T. Papageorgiou, Active control of liquid film flows: beyond reduced-order models, Nonlinear Dynamics, 104(1):267-287, 2021.
- R.J. Tomlin, S.N. Gomes, G.A. Pavliotis, D.T. Papageorgiou, Optimal control of thin liquid films and transverse mode effects, SIAM Journal of Applied Dynamical Systems, 18(1), 117–149, 2019.
- S.N. Gomes, G.A. Pavliotis, Mean field limits for interacting diffusions in a two-scale potential, Journal of Nonlinear Science 28(3) 905-941, 2018.
A.B. Thompson, S.N. Gomes, G.A. Pavliotis, D.T. Papageorgiou, Stabilising falling liquid film flows using feedback control, Physics of Fluids, 28, 012107, 2016.
- S.N. Gomes, M. Pradas, S. Kalliadasis, D.T. Papageorgiou, G.A. Pavliotis, Controlling spatiotemporal chaos in active dissipative-dispersive nonlinear systems, Physical Review E 92, 022912, 2015.
Recent and upcoming workshops/conferences/seminars:
- Numerical Analysis Seminar, The University of Hong Kong, February 2022.
- Co-organiser (with R. Bailo) of the mini-symposium 'Microscopic and PDE Models for Multi-Agent Systems in Pedestrian and Traffic Flows' on the SIAM PD 22 conference, March 14-18, 2022 (Originally scheduled in Berlin, Germany).
- Speaker at two mini-symposia on the BAMC 2022, April 11-13, 2022.
- Workshop 'WS3 PDE-constrained Bayesian inverse UQ' on the ESI Thematic Period on UNCERTAINTY QUANTIFICATION, May 11-15, 2020, Erwin Schroedinger Institute, Vienna, Austria, postponed to May 2022.
- Co-organiser (with M. Ottobre and M.-T. Wolfram) of the ICMS workshop on 'Connections between interacting particle dynamics and data science', Isle of Skye, Scotland, May 2022.