- Health research refers to the different types of scientific investigations that are used to test ideas, answer important questions about health and to improve treatment options for patients.
- Health research improves our knowledge about human health and allows health professionals to base their decisions on the best available evidence.
- Health research is important because it helps to understand health and illness better. Without research we wouldn’t have medications and treatments that help to prevent, diagnose and treat illness and disease.
- Health research needs people to take part so that researchers can learn more about health and disease and find treatments.
- Many people who take part in health research want to improve health outcomes for not only themselves, but for others in the future.
Who funds health research?
The National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) is the nation's largest funder of health and care research. It provides the people, facilities and technology for research to thrive.
You can learn more about the NIHR from their website.
Would you like to learn more about health research?
You can take a free online course What is Health Research?