My research interest spans forensic psychiatry, terrorism, extremism and radicalisation, old age psychiatry, prison psychiatry, old age forensic psychiatry, systematic reviews and health economics.
I am co-applicant to an NIHR-SDO funded project looking at long-term care of those patients in high and medium secure services. This project is expected to end in 2016. It is the first project within the United Kingdom that looks at longer term care.
I am a management committee member of an EU- COST (Co-operation in Science and Technology) programme looking at long-term care and the only Early Career Researcher within the Management committee. I am also leader of one of the three working groups looking specifically at best practice in long term forensic psychiatric settings. This project is expected to end in 2017.
In addition, I am the Mental Health Economic Editor to the Cochrane Schizophrenia Group and assist and guide individuals in incorporating economic outcomes within systematic reviews.
I studied Medicine at the Christian Medical College and Hospital in Vellore and then completed my basic and specialist training in Old Age Psychiatry in Leeds. During this time I also completed a Masters in Health Policy, Planning and Financing from the London School of Economics and Political Sciences and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. I spent approximately nine months at the Prime Ministers Strategy Unit in the Cabinet Office looking at Mental Health Policy.
I was then awarded an NIHR Academic Clinical Fellowship to research long term care in forensic psychiatric settings and completed further specialist training in Forensic Psychiatry. During my fellowship, I attracted both internal funding from the Institute of Mental Health and external funding from an independent provider of forensic psychiatric services (PiC).
I am currently employed by the University of Warwick as an Associate Clinical Professor in Forensic Psychiatry and Honorary Consultant Forensic Psychiatrist to an enhanced rehabilitation medium secure service in the West Midlands.
I have been preparing independent medico legal reports (including specialised reports regarding insanity defence, autism and autistic spectrum disorder, fraud and immigration related cases) for the past few years for both criminal and civil cases for solicitors, CPS, Courts and mental health tribunals. Being trained in both old age and forensic psychiatry, I can provide highly specialised psychiatric reports for the elderly offender (all offences including violent and sexual offending) and those patients in old age forensic psychiatric units.
I have been interviewed for both radio and television with regards to high profile medico-legal cases.
- 'Connell, Catriona, 'Furtado, Vivek, 'McKay, Elizabeth A., 'Singh, Swaran P., 2022. 'Developing an intervention to improve occupational participation for justice-involved people with a personality disorder : defining and describing intervention components. International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology, 66 (6-7), pp. 774-788
- 'Walker, Kate, 'Furtado, Vivek, 'Yates, Jen, 'Dening, Tom, 'V?llm, Birgit, 'Griffiths, Chris, 2022. 'Systems and processes that enable progress for older forensic mental health patients. International Journal of Forensic Mental Health
- Singh, Swaran P., Mohan, Mohapradeep, Iyer, Srividya N., Meyer, Caroline, Currie, Graeme, Shah, Jai, Madan, Jason, Birchwood, M. J., Sood, Mamta, Ramachandran, Padmavati, Chadda, Rakesh K., Lilford, Richard J., Rangaswamy, Thara, Furtado, Vivek, 2021. The Warwick-India-Canada (WIC) global mental health group : rationale, design and protocol. BMJ Open, 11
- Livanou, Maria, Singh, Swaran P., Liapi, Fani, Furtado, Vivek, 2020. Mapping transitional care-pathways among young people discharged from adolescent forensic medium secure units in England. Medicine, Science and the Law, 60 (1), pp. 45-53
- Winsper, Catherine, Bilgin, Ayten, Thompson, Andrew David, Marwaha, Steven, Chanen, Andrew, Singh, Swaran P., Wang, Ariel, Furtado, Vivek, 2019. The prevalence of personality disorders in the community : a global systematic review and meta-analysis. British Journal of Psychiatry, 216, pp. 69-78
- Livanou, Maria, Furtado, Vivek, Winsper, Catherine, Silvester, Annabelle, Singh, Swaran P., 2019. Prevalence of mental disorders and symptoms among incarcerated youth : a meta-analysis of 30 studies. International Journal of Forensic Mental Health, 18 (4), pp. 400-414
- Livanou, Maria, Singh, Swaran P., Liapi, Fani, Furtado, Vivek, 2019. Mapping transitional care-pathways among young people discharged from adolescent forensic medium secure units in England. Medicine, Science and the Law
- Tomlin, Jack, Völlm, Birgit Angela, Furtado, Vivek, Egan, Vincent, Bartlett, Peter, 2019. The Forensic Restrictiveness Questionnaire : development, validation and revision. Frontiers in Psychiatry, 10
- Connell, Catriona, McKay , Elizabeth A., Furtado, Vivek, Singh, Swaran P., 2019. People with severe problematic personality traits and offending histories : what influences occupational participation?. European Psychiatry, 60, pp. 14-19
- Völlm, Birgit A., Edworthy, Rachel, Huband, Nick, Talbot, Emily, Majid, Shazmin, Holley, Jessica, Furtado, Vivek, Weaver, Tim, McDonald, Ruth, Duggan, Conor, 2018. Characteristics and pathways of long-stay patients in high and medium secure settings in England ; a secondary publication from a large mixed-methods study. Frontiers in Psychiatry, 9
- Connell, Catriona, Furtado, Vivek, McKay , Elizabeth A., Singh, Swaran P., 2018. What influences social outcomes among offenders with personality disorder : a systematic review. Criminal Behaviour and Mental Health, 28 (5), pp. 390-396
- Huband, Nick, Furtado, Vivek, Schel, Sandra, Eckert, Mareike, Cheung, Natalie, Bulten, Erik, Völlm, Birgit, 2018. Characteristics and needs of long-stay forensic psychiatric inpatients : a rapid review of the literature. International Journal of Forensic Mental Health, 17 (1), pp. 45-60
- Hare Duke, Laurie, Furtado, Vivek, Guo, Boliang, Völlm, Birgit Angela, 2018. Long-stay in forensic-psychiatric care in the UK. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 53 (3), pp. 313-321
- Adams, Clive E., Wells, Nicola Clark, Clifton, Andrew, Jones, Hannah, Simpson, Jayne, Tosh, Graeme, Callaghan, Patrick, Liddle, Peter, Guo, Boliang, Furtado, Vivek, Khokhar, Mariam A., Aggarwal, Vishal. R., 2018. Monitoring oral health of people in Early Intervention for Psychosis (EIP) teams : the extended Three Shires randomised trial. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 77, pp. 106-114
- Connell, Catriona, Furtado, Vivek, McKay , Elizabeth A., Singh, Swaran P., 2018. What influences social outcomes among offenders with personality disorder: A systematic review. Criminal Behaviour and Mental Health, 28 (5), pp. 390-396
- McDonald, Ruth, Furtado, Vivek, 2017. Medicine, madness and murderers : the context of English forensic psychiatric hospitals. Journal of Health Organization and Management, 31 (5), pp. 598-611
- Connell, Catriona, Furtado, Vivek, McKay, Elizabeth A., Singh, Swaran P., 2017. How effective are interventions to improve social outcomes among offenders with personality disorder : a systematic review. BMC Psychiatry, 17
- Livanou, Maria, Furtado, Vivek, Singh, Swaran P., 2017. Mentally disordered young offenders in transition from child and adolescent to adult mental health services across England and Wales. Journal of Forensic Practice, 19 (4), pp. 301-308
- Sampson, Stephanie, Hosalli, Prakash, Furtado, Vivek, Davis, John M., 2016. Risperidone (depot) for schizophrenia. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews
- Rampling, J., Furtado, Vivek, Winsper, Catherine, Marwaha, Steven, Lucca, G., Livanou, Maria, Singh, Swaran P., 2016. Non-pharmacological interventions for reducing aggression and violence in serious mental illness : a systematic review and narrative synthesis. European Psychiatry, 34, pp. 17-28
- McDonald, Ruth, Furtado, Vivek, Völlm, Birgit, 2016. Managing madness, murderers and paedophiles : understanding change in the field of English forensic psychiatry. Social Science & Medicine, 164, pp. 12-18
- Adams, Clive E., Davis, John M., Duggan, Lorna, Essali, Adib, Fenton, Mark, Furtado, Vivek, Jayaram, Mahesh, Leucht, Stefan, Purgato, Marianna, Syed, Rebecca, Tharyan, Prathap, Välimäki, Maritta, 2015. Overstatement in article. Psychosis: Psychological, Social and Integrative Approaches, Routledge, pp. 367-368
|Title||Funder||Award start||Award end|
|New care model - East midlands NHS England - evaluation project||Leicester Partnership NHS Trust||01 Apr 2021||31 Mar 2022|
|The development of a CAMHS Tier 4 New Care Model: baseline evaluation||St Andrews Healthcare||15 Jun 2020||23 Dec 2020|
|Reach Out||Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust||01 Jul 2017||31 Dec 2019|
|Pilot Liaison And Diversion Scheme||Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust||15 Oct 2015||31 Dec 2017|
|CEDAR Ward - Mental Health Database||Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust||15 Oct 2015||31 Dec 2017|
|Dementia in Prisons Project (DIPP)||Royal Wolverhampton Hospitals NHS Trust - New Cross Hospital||01 Jan 2016||31 Mar 2016|
|British Council Indonesia Second City He Partnership Travel Grant||British Council||10 Mar 2015||09 Mar 2016|