My research interests focus on the relationships between socio-economic circumstances, human functioning, health and health related behaviours and factors that influence these relationships.
To date, together with Paul Aveyard (University of Birmingham), I have developed a novel theoretical framework for health promoting schools that is based on human functioning, pedagogic practice and school organisation. We have used this frame to predict the influence of school culture on smoking and to predict health outcomes amongst UK graduates.
My main interest is to develop a reliable and validated questionnaire on pupils perceptions of school support and control and examine whether this questionnaire helps to explain the relationships between school culture and pupils mental health and health related behaviour.
I am also keen to further explore the factors that influence health outcomes amongst UK graduates.
- Markham, Wolfgang A., 2019. Good human functioning, health and the promotion of health. Health Education, 119 (5-6), pp. 382-407
- Melson, Elniee, Bridle, Christopher, Markham, Wolfgang A., 2017. Pragmatic pilot cluster randomised control trial of a schoolbasedpeer-led anti-smoking intervention for 13-14 year olds in Malaysia : process evaluation. Health Education, 117 (6), pp. 599-616
- Bonell, C., Shackleton, N., Fletcher, A., Jamal, F., Allen, E., Mathiot, A., Markham, Wolfgang A., Aveyard, P., Viner, R., 2017. Student- and school-level belonging and commitment and student smoking, drinking and misbehaviour. Health Education Journal, 76 (2), pp. 206-220
- Markham, Wolfgang A., Bonell, Chris, Fletcher, Adam, Aveyard, Paul, 2017. How can schools help to reduce the harm associated with teenage substance use? Development of a theoretically-driven whole-school approach. Drugs and Alcohol Today, 17 (1), pp. 1-11
- Shackleton, Nichola, Fletcher, Adam, Jamal, Farah, Markham, Wolfgang A., Aveyard, Paul, Mathiot, Anne, Allen, Elizabeth, Viner, Russell, Bonell, Chris, 2017. A new measure of unhealthy school environments and its implications for critical assessments of health promotion in schools. Critical Public Health, 27 (2), pp. 248-262
- Bonell, Chris, Fletcher, Adam, Jamal, Farah, Aveyard, Paul, Markham, Wolfgang A., 2016. Where next with theory and research on how the school environment influences young people's substance use?. Health & Place, 40, pp. 91-97
- Markham, Wolfgang A., 2014. School culture and teenage substance use : a conceptual and operational framework. Educational Review, pp. 1-18
- Markham, Wolfgang A., Young, Robert, Sweeting, Helen, West, Patrick, Aveyard, Paul, 2012. Does school ethos explain the relationship between value-added education and teenage substance use? A cohort study. Social Science & Medicine, Vol.75 (No.1), pp. 69-76
- Tobler, Amy L., Komro, Kelli A., Dabroski, Alexis, Aveyard, Paul, Markham, Wolfgang A., 2011. Preventing the link between SES and high-risk behaviors : "value-added? education, drug use and delinquency in high-risk, urban schools. Prevention Science, 12 (2), pp. 211-221
- Rodríguez-Calvillo, Javier A., Lana, Alberto, Cueto, Antonio, Markham, Wolfgang A., López, M. L. (Maria Luisa), 2011. Psychosocial factors associated with the prescription of generic drugs. Health Policy, Vol.101 (No.2), pp. 178-184
- Markham, Wolfgang A., Bridle, Christopher, Grimshaw, G. M., Stanton, Alan, Aveyard, Paul, 2010. Trial protocol and preliminary results for a cluster randomised trial of behavioural support versus brief advice for smoking cessation in adolescents. BMC Research Notes, Vol.3 (No.336)
- Bullock, Alison D., Hassell, Andrew, Markham, Wolfgang A., Wall, David W., Whitehouse, Andrew B., 2009. How ratings vary by staff group in multi-source feedback assessment of junior doctors. Medical Education, Vol.43 (No.6), pp. 516-520
- Bullock, Alison D, Hassell, Andrew, Markham, Wolfgang A., Wall, David W, Whitehouse, Andrew B, 2009. How ratings vary by staff group in multi-source feedback assessment of junior doctors. Medical Education, Vol. 43 (No. 6), pp. 516-520
- Michie, Susan, Jochelson, Karen, Markham, Wolfgang A., Bridle, Christopher, 2009. Low-income groups and behaviour change interventions: a review of intervention content, effectiveness and theoretical frameworks. Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health, Vol.63 (No.8), pp. 610-622
- Markham, Wolfgang A., López, María Luisa, Aveyard, Paul, Herrero, Pablo, Bridle, Christopher, Comas, Àngel, Charlton, Anne, Thomas, Hywel, 2009. Mediated, moderated and direct effects of country of residence, age, and gender on the cognitive and social determinants of adolescent smoking in Spain and the UK: a cross-sectional study. BMC Public Health, Vol.9
- Zardaín, Emma, Valle, María Olivo, Loza, María Isabel, García, Eduardo, Lana, Alberto, Markham, Wolfgang A., López, María Luisa, 2009. Psychosocial and behavioural determinants of the implementation of Pharmaceutical Care in Spain. Pharmacy World & Science, Vol. 31 (No. 2), pp. 174-182
- Markham, Wolfgang A., Aveyard, Paul, Bisset, Sherri L., Lancashire, Emma R., Bridle, Christopher, Deakin, Sara, 2008. Value-added education and smoking uptake in schools : a cohort study. Addiction, Vol.103 (No.1), pp. 155-161
- Bisset, Sherri, Markham, Wolfgang A., Aveyard, Paul, 2007. School culture as an influencing factor on youth substance use. Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health, Vol.61 (No.6), pp. 485-490
|Title||Funder||Award start||Award end|
|Evaluation of QUITs break free smoking cessation intervention for young people||Cancer Research UK||01 Jun 2007||31 May 2008|
|Evaluation of QUITs Break Free Smoking Cessation Intervention for Young People||Cancer Research UK||01 Feb 2006||31 Jan 2008|