This two-day course provides a comprehensive introduction to clinical ethics for new and potential members of clinical ethics committees – professionals from any background or speciality, and lay members.
Anyone who is a new member of a clinical ethics committee, or who is considering joining or establishing a clinical ethics committee
- Systems and processes for clinical ethics committees
- Appreciating different perspectives in a case consultation
- Data protection and confidentiality in clinical ethics committees
- Best interests
- Introduction to ethical theories and principles
- Frameworks for decision-making in clinical ethics
- Promoting your CEC within your trust
You will also have an appreciation of the processes of clinical ethics committees and a better sense of how the different perspectives of those involved in clinical ethics decision making can be reconciled.
The content will be delivered by interactive lectures, small group exercises and workshops centred on a range of clinical scenarios.
9.00am - 10.00am: Registration and coffee, introductions
10.00am - 11.00am: Systems and processes for clinical ethics committees (Anne-Marie Slowther)
11.00am – 12.00pm: Appreciating different perspectives in a case consultation (Anne-Marie Slowther)
12.15pm – 1.00pm: Data protection and confidentiality in clinical ethics committees (Heather Draper)
- 1.00pm - 2.00pm: Lunch (provided)
2.00pm – 2.45pm: Promoting your CEC within your trust (Anne-Marie Slowther)
3.00pm – 4.30pm: Best interests workshop (Heather Draper)
- 4.30pm – 4.45pm: Wrap up and depart
- 9.30am – 11.30am: Introduction to ethical theories and principles (Heather Draper)
- 11.45am – 1.00pm: Frameworks for decision-making in clinical ethics (Greg Moorlock)
- 1.00pm: Lunch (provided)
- 2.00pm – 3.30pm: Case discussion workshop (Heather Draper and Anne-Marie Slowther)
- 3.45pm – 4.30pm: Feedback and discussion with facilitators on the cases (Heather Draper and Anne-Marie Slowther)
- 4.30pm – 4.45pm: Evaluation and depart
Cheryl Grantham / Eva Mussio / Claire Runaghan
Tel: 02476 574263
Duration: Two days
Location: University of Warwick
Dates: 29 - 30 January 2020
Fees: £300 (includes coffee, tea and lunch)
Register: Please complete our online registration form.