This module aims to equip students with essential core skills in molecular biology and scientific computing, bringing you up to speed with the course philosophy and prepare you for the main modules that will follow.
After completing the module, you will be able to:
- Operate safely within a laboratory environment
- Demonstrate the ability to accurately report a scientific method
- Demonstrate experimental skills in basic molecular cell biology and relevant physical sciences
- Use coding techniques to process data from experiments in molecular cell biology and relevant physical sciences
- Demonstrate relevant writing / reporting / collaborative working skills, including the ability to succinctly summarise scientific information
4 weeks (2-hour classes each weekday morning, except Wednesday morning)
There will be a mix of instructional lecturing and group-based problem solving.
- 250-word abstract of the laboratory work conducted (written at the end of the 4-week block)
- 45-minute written examination (taken at the end of the year)